What's new

yammie or denon (1 Viewer)

Mark gas

Second Unit
I just bought a yammie rvx 420 but they also had the denon 1402 for $50 less. The sales man told me the yammie was better for ht is that true or should I return the yammie and get the denon?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Both Yamaha and Denon are owned by the same company Nippon Electric. The Denon seems to be alittle more musical than the Yamaha. IMHO both do great in that price range. It depends on what you like. I have a Yamaha RV-X995 receiver myself and it sound pretty good for HT and music. I use this receiver for dvd's, laserdisc, cd's, dat's and sacd's and even dvd-a. I have also owned a Denon intergrated amp / prologic processor model. The Yamaha has there own version of thx called 70mm. And they have some great soundfields tweeked for different movies. The Denon has a great processor and amp section. IMHO in the lower models I would say Yamaha hands down. In the flagship model I would say Denon for the D/A's and total flexability and upgradeability of the Denon 5803.
If you like how the Yamaha sounds then that is you answer and you do not need to trade it in :) :) . We all here have different taste and have different equipment in our HT. What works great for one may not be the answer for someone else. But I hope this helps you in some way.
Have a great turkey day :D

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Were you able to hear both receivers? Sometimes spending a good amount of time doing the old A/B with each receiver while handling music and movies will allow you to decide which one sounds better for you. Also, spending a little "drive" time by playing with the remote and toggling through the options may also be beneficial. Certainly you could then get a feel as to whether either one of the receivers is a bit too complicated to adjust.

Mark gas

Second Unit
I was not able to a/b the recivers but I have heard the yammie at my Cousins house and it sounded pretty good and it has pre outs and the Denon does not so I guess I will keep the yammie.

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
I've owned the Yamamha RX-V995 and now I have the Denon 4802.

One major difference that comes to mind is the Yamaha is brighter, Denon is warmer.

DerekF

Stunt Coordinator
Some feedback, FWIW...

I had a Denon 2802 in my home to audition, when a "friend of a friend" (whose family owns an electronics store) offered me a Yamaha RX-V2200 at cost. Since it is the equal to the Denon 3802 in product line heirarchy, I jumped at the chance.

Using my PSB 5T/9C setup, the Denon was noticably better at 2 CH music, while I feel the Yamaha has an edge for HT.

The Yammy remote was much nicer as well...

I agree with Geoff, the Yammy seems to have higher highs, and a more "in your face" presentation, while the Denon is more laid back... While the differences do exist, they are pretty subtle....

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Uh, just to clarify, Denon and Yamaha are not owned by the same company. Marantz and Denon are owned by the same holding company but are still operated as separate divisions.

I like both Yamaha and Denon. (I have one of each brand in 2 different setups.) I think you'll be very happy with your Yamaha. I'm running a Yammie 5550 which is similar to your 420 and mine rocks!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
While you are correct Chuck that Marantz and Denon are owned by the same company. You are a misstaken about the connection with Yamaha and Denon. Unless Yamaha was sold off sometime in the past 4-5 years. Denon and Yamaha are owned by the same company. If you own both a Yamaha and Denon peice of equipment. Look on the back and you will see that Nippon Electric on both brands! I have had 3 Denon peices and two Yamaha peices. And my father has had three commercial Yamaha power amps. And all of these have had Nippon Electric stamped on the back of the equipment.
And for Mark:
I would have to agree with the others that you are most likely better off with the Yamaha. My Yamaha RX-V995 still impresses me for the price range that it was in. It will how ever compete with the McIntosh MX-130 that it replaced. At the time I had gotten married and had to have a 5.1 receiver so the Yamaha was the best model I could come up with in my budget, vs upgrading my Mac :frowning: . When the Yamaha is upgraded it will end up in my bedroom system and will be tied in to the main HT. Let us know what you decided and hopefully the Yamaha does the trick for you.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Dave: I'm sorry but all of these Nippon's seem to have you confused. I know virtually no Japanese but I believe "Nippon" is essentially "Japan" in english.
Denon's original Japanese corporate name was Nippon Columbia Co. LTD and Yamaha's was Nippon Gakki Co. LTD. They have never been owned by the same company.
There certainly is a Nippon Electric Co. But it changed it's name to NEC in 1983. NEC makes all kinds of electronic devices. They did market their own hifi products in the US for a while 15 or 20 years ago, but did so under their own name...
Hope this helps clarify. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks