yammie froze?!?!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by tommy_E, Apr 22, 2005.

1. tommy_E

tommy_E Agent

Whats up everyone..

A little mad tonight, i remember reading some guys Yammie HTR-5790 just locking up on em. Well it happened to me while watching a movie. I couldnt do anything, from the remote and even going up to the receiver and moving the volume knob, nothing.The volume was about -15db the whole time, but the movie had no loud dynamic scenes so the fan had no reason to kick on. Im very nervous because I dont feel like going out and buying another one or shipping it away to get it fixed. It works and turns on now, but did that mean something is up? Thanks for anyone who knows...ciao

[​IMG]

2. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

I'm on my 4th generation yamaha unit...never ever had an issue with one of em. (knock on wood). sorry to hear about your issue. How long have you had it? warranty still good?

3. Himanshu_S

Himanshu_S Stunt Coordinator

that sucks. I have 5790 too. haven't had that problem but would sure hate it if it ever occured. Yamaha is slipping a little nowadays with quality I think. My friend was just testing out the 5890 and thing went into protection mode when raised the volume to 0db. anyways, hope u got a good warranty.

4. tommy_E

tommy_E Agent

Thanks for the feedback...

I have no clue. I bought it off of Electronicgiant.com But, the Yamaha papers came in the box? does that mean i can still send it back? I purchased it about 3 to 4 months ago. I have my old Yammie RXV-690(1997)...works perfect [​IMG] But my baby the 5790 is messed up[​IMG] I just plugged it back in and it turned on and everything is fine, but that had to mean something is off you know? I'm afraid to listen to my music and movies at moderate levels..

Thanks alot guys..

5. Matt K P

Matt K P Agent

dont buy another yamaha.

I went through the exact same thing with my yammie 5790 and v1500.

Only happens when i watched movies. I posted on many different forums about this and no one knew what was doing it. I knew i was alone...

Trust me, another NEW yammie receiver wont fix it, get a different brand. I did. I got the pio 1014 and have not had a problem since...knock on wood.[​IMG]

p.s. it will NEVER get better. I had to go through unplugging it 10-20 times before i brought it back.

6. tommy_E

tommy_E Agent

Thanks..

I unplugged it once...left it off for a day and works fine now?
    I'm nervous now lol[​IMG]

thanks for the feedback

7. Matt K P

Matt K P Agent

itll happen again, i promise....

p.s. if you need a new DVD player buy one...i think thats what it has to do with.

8. John S

John S Producer

Maybe, for now, file it in the catagory of "I hope it doesn't make a habbit out of it"....

The good news, is if you want to replace, the price -vs- performance ratio is outstanding these days, so for around $300 you can get 7 channels of amplification and all the newest bells and whistles if you need to replace it.

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Because of the isolated nature of this and a few other cases, I get edgy when someone posts "Don't ever buy [brand name] again."

If Yamaha were routinely unreliable, the word would be out. It is not.

10. tommy_E

tommy_E Agent

Matt K P...

just asking--why would the dvd player have anything to do with it? thanks

11. al lout

al lout Stunt Coordinator

About 6 months ago, my yamaha htr 5560 was doing the same thing like yours. It locked up on me. I can't do anything, not on the remote or the receiver itself. I unplugged the power cord. Everything went dead and it never turns back on. If you find a solution please post as I still want to fix it up. Currently, I am running w/ the Pioneer 1014. I'm very happy with it. It's an excellent receiver. Good luck w/ your yammie...

12. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

..........LOL!! So which is it Matt....the receiver or the DVD player?????? Kind of amusing how you first bash the Yamaha for the issue....than say it was probably the DVD player........or was the DVD player a Yamaha too????........

13. Robert SW

Robert SW Auditioning

Do you have a lot of clearance above the receiver?
    Like 6" or more? I had "lock ups" 3/4 through Santana's
    Shaman CD when I was playing it really loud (-10) with
    a 7.1 speaker setup. But I only had about a inch of
    top clearance in the entertainment center. I ended up
    getting a 12v fan running it with a 5v power supply and
    dropping resistor to make it quiet and having it blow
    cool air on the left hand side of my 2500 which had been
    getting warm. Problem solved.

14. tommy_E

tommy_E Agent

Yes i do have alot of clearance on top...about 3 feet from the ground all the way up to the 9 foor ceiling. The side of my receiver is covered by the tv{where the side vent is}..I think because of me leaving it on all the time like people said i should because its not good to turn electronics on and off they said, that it froze..