yammi rx-v420 or kenwood vr-509

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaleR, Jan 17, 2002.

1. DaleR

DaleR Stunt Coordinator

which receiver would you chose. i have $550.00 CDN ($12.95 USD) and these two are the only interesting receivers in my price range here in Ottawa. I listen to about 60% movies, 40% music. i currently own an H/K avr-10. Any opinions would be most welcome as i am currently experiencing severe buyers anxiety. thanks alot.

2. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

The Kenwood sounds solid and the DD, DTS, DPL2 and SRS Circle Surround make it hard to beat. You will find both Yamaha and Kenwood fans, I think you should let your ears decide.

3. VicQ

VicQ Stunt Coordinator

Dale,
    I would suggest you hold your purchase for about two months, new Yamaha receivers are coming up w/prologic II and other neat features.
    -Vic [​IMG]

4. ChristopherS

ChristopherS Second Unit

Dale,

I bought a Kenwood VR509 this past weekend, and so far have had no buyer's remorse . I think the Kenwood just has too much to offer to pass up at this price. Super video switching, component video switching, Prologic II, Circle Surround, ... etc. I also think the unit sounds great. I bought mine at the FutureShop in South Keys for $449 CDN. I have heard that other people have been able to get the VR509 even cheaper.

I cannot comment on the Yamaha as I have no experience with it.

Chris

5. Randy Prue

Randy Prue Stunt Coordinator

That Yamaha does not have ProLogic-II, which is very nice.

The Kenwood is very nice. I got it for $430. at Future Shop (it was on sale one week in November or December). It is very nice, plenty powerful, and a great value. The remote is very nice.

6. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Given these 2 receivers, I would definitely go with the Kenwood! My bro in law has the Yamaha 420, and I much prefer my Kenwood, and so does he!