What's new

Yamato/Starblazers fans rejoice! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
When this is coming to the US is unknown, I'd say 2004
This story takes place 1000 years after the original Yamato, and features descendants of the original crew who happen to look exactly like, and have the same names as their predecessors :) (why this is is a VERY long story, involving numerous court cases and all kinds of horrible things0
http://www.sankyo-fever.com/movie/dy/dy_demo.mpg
Enjoy :)

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Can anyone translate the title song in that clip? Just wondering where they are off to this time. Are they still fighting the Gamilon's (and Desslock's descendants as well?)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I always wondered if a live action version of the show could be made today? I figure with todays CGI effects they could easily do it.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
That's the original theme song from the original show. It's also much more poetic than the StarBlazers version, which to their credit they at least kept many of the themes and ideas for it.
http://my.voyager.net/~jfellows/lyr100.html
They only fought the Gamilons in the first season, by the end, Deslar was an ally.
They're going against the Machine Empire, main enemies in the Matsumotoverse

Will Cunningham

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, thanks so much for posting that! It totally made my day, I _LOVE_ Starblazers and have been anxiously awaiting a new serries. I like the new character designs, not sure how I feel about the CGI or that the Yamato does not look so much like the original Yamato. Still, I am breathless with anticipation...any new starblazers adventure is bound to be good on at least some level. :)

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Darn, I was hoping it was news of a DVD release of the original Yamato series. (NOT Starblazers, but the uncut original version with subtitles.)

The manga (comics) of "New Space Battleship Yamato" or "Great Yamato" have been out in Japan for a while now, too.

They only fought the Gamilons in the first season, by the end, Deslar was an ally.
But they never changed the lyrics to reflect that in Japan.

They did record English versions of the Opening and Ending themes in Japan, by the same singer who sang it in Japanese. (These aren't the same as the ones used in "Starblazers")

There is a Playstation game in Japan called "Matsumoto Leiji 999" which features Analyzer, Sanada's Grandfather, Starshia, the Yamato, and the people of "Neo-Gamilas", who work for the Machine Empire.

And "Cosmowarrior Zero" (a game that was later made into a TV series) features Battle Analyzer, Analyzer's "younger brother". There are DVDs of the series in R1, but the game is only available in Japan.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes, ever since Matsumoto was officially legally given care of the franchise, the Yamato has been popping up all over the Matsumotoverse. The new design is actually not different much from the original design. Instead of the atmospheric wings the fighter deck was moved there because the hatch in the back tended to get them killed, and there are now turrets on the bottom so they don't have the "magnetic grapple and scuttle" problem

It's supposed to be the same ship, resurrected from the arctic where it rested after Final Yamato

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Oh and supposedly there are several companies interested in grabbing Yamato for US release subtitled, but that the legal areas have not been explored yet
1- What rights does Voyager own? The answer so far as I can tell is that they own the rights to the show IN ITS STARBLAZERS FORM ONLY. They also unfortunately own the rights to the 5 movies, which means we'll see a decent anamorphic subbed DVD the 12th of never (Come onnnn Korea!)
We've been petitioning them for a decade to put out subtitled Yamato, they steadfastly hold to their prized idiocy.
2- Will Voyager attempt to sue anyway
Those are the questions which I hope have been answered by SOME company :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks