Yamaha's old 7 channel process

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RichardMA, Apr 17, 2002.

1. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

I had a Yamaha 2090 receiver/DDP-1 DD processor

and then a Yamaha 3090 processor. These had a mode

that produced a 6th and 7th channel, ostensively to mount

speakers higher and wider than the front left-right stereo

pair. Are they still offering this mode and does anyone

know how it worked, compared to the current Dolby Digital

EX or other "more than" 5.1 modes? I realize it was

actually matrixed, so I figure it worked like them

or Circle Surround.

-Rich

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Richard,

Yamaha’s top-of-the-line receivers still have this feature. The extra channels are what Yamaha calls “front effects.” They are used as ambience enhancement for Yamaha’s proprietary digital soundfields, many of which are “modeled” from actual auditoriums and concert venues.

The way it works: Yamaha went to many venues and took in-room measurements of the early and late reflections and “recreated” that information into their LSIs (large-scale integrated circuits). When you select a DSP (digital soundfield processing) mode, the front effects and rear speakers mimic the acoustics of the selected venue (Cellar Club, Hall C in Europe, etc.) and create a very realistic acoustic space.

The soundfields are separate processing from Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro-Logic and DTS, all of which are proprietary formats in their own right and do not use extra front effects speakers. However, Yamaha has many soundfields that add DSP ambience (and the front effects channels) to DD, DPL and DTS, the idea being to re-create the acoustics of movie theaters.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Will

Will Guest

Whereas the Yamaha 6th and 7th channel speakers are positioned higher and slightly wider than the front speakers, most others vendors these days have their 6th and 7th channel speakers behind the listener (with the 4th and 5th channel speakers to the left and right of the listener).

Yamaha's speaker placement would seem to be somewhat incompatable with the more mainstream approach of where 6.1 and 7.1 speakers are placed.

4. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I don't know what "somewhat incompatible" means concerning the Yamaha's version of extra effects channels but having used them with my last two receivers, a 2095 and now a RX-V1, I can IMHO say, I won't do without them.

When I moved recently, I didn't install the front effects for a while. The soundfield was good but not what I really liked... so as soon as I could, I put'em back in.

To me, Yamaha's recommended placement of these effect channels is only a recommendation and having played with them somewhat, moving them along the "side" wall of a Ht config changes things around a little but I ended up with them changing the imaging width a little. I ended up with them right where Yamaha recommends and I figure they know a little more than I do!

IMHO I believe the front effect speakers add more to MOST presentations than the rear center. I do get strong rear action but still there's nothing like that broad and wide soundstage up front.

So, in the end I intend to make use of all that technology ,aka Yamaha DSP, has to offer.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Will,
    It’s not an “incompatibility” issue. I think perhaps what you are referring to is:
    • Manufacturers using extra rear speakers for whatever reason – added ambience, the ability to switch between one speaker type and location for music and another for movies, etc. What they are doing and what Yamaha is doing are two totally separate things; either is viable in a home theater system, depending on the needs or desires of the purchaser.
    • Confusing Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES (6.1) processing (which adds a center rear channel using one of two additional speakers) with Yamaha’s DSP processing. Yamaha’s later model receivers have 6.1 in a additional to their DSP processing (i.e., they use both their front effects and the extra rear speakers).
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. Will

Will Guest

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Yup! I think the RX-V1 was the first to have 8 channels (don’t hold me to that) and of course the about-to-b-released new flagship RX-Z1 does, too. Yamaha’s line–up (or at least their web site) has such a mix of late-model and last-generation equipment I’m not sure which other receiver’s have all eight channels.

Not to mention, the seven channel (front effects) equipment was never across the board, only in their upper-end equipment.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

8. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Yes, in fact, the RX-V1 is 8.1...... and a very nice unit.

My previous receiver was the 2095 and it was 7.1.

Of course, you have the ability to turn the front effects on or off and various dsp programs also default to use or not to use according to the dsp selected.

But like Wayne, I am not sure how many of the other Yams have 8.1.

But I can say... I like it I like it....

9. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

Yes, the Yamaha channel placement is similar to Sony's

theatrical SDDS in that there are up to 5 channels

in the front. Just think, if you took an RX-V1 + Parasound's CSE 6.1 add on, you could have five channels across the front, 2 on ceiling, 4 at the rear.

11 Channels plus 2 sub channels!

-Rich

10. Will

Will Guest