What's new

Yamaha665,6.1 speakers, will this do? (1 Viewer)

bozobytes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Hello...
You've no doubt heard this expression, "How long do you want to keep beating a dead Horse?" I am so sorry for being completely dense on this stuff, but over the last six months, I have received tons of misinformation on the Display to AVR hooking up issues, primarily from audio salesmen, and other forums, I'm just plain dizzy. :crazy:

I've waited awhile for the right receiver that could handle what I thought......
Fully compatible with HD audio and video. Featuring HD audio decoding, HDMI (4 in/ 1 out), 1080p video upscaling. Pure Direct, YPAO, Cinema DSP 3D and custom installation features,HDMI Pass-through,HDMI Up Conversion(with upscaling up to 1080p).

remember, I was going to get the Onkyo 606 or 706, and the Sony HTiab (gasp) but decided on this Yamaha RX-V665 AVR, and a 6.1 speaker system.

I have a HDTV Display mounted on the wall with one HDMI cable presently connected to my Time-Warner-DVR STB, soon to be connected to the Yamaha RX-v665,along with a 6.1 speaker setup.
It's not hooked up yet, because I'm going round and round trying to figure out the best way to do this with less cabling in the walls. Besides, I would have to take the TV back down to connect any additional cables in it and that would be a BIG hassle.

Now, with this receiver, I'm thinking all I have to do is keep the one HDMI from Display to the AVR, and then all the other components into the AVR. In doing this, will I still get 6.1 from the display via the receiver?

I was told this…

"Put simply, if you run an HDMI from your display to the receiver you will only get 2.1 audio (some sort of restriction due to copyright laws)." IS THIS TRUE?

"You must pass all audio through the receiver first in order to get all the audio formats in proper 7.1."

"If you want to sometimes just have the display on without the receiver you can run a separate optical cable for audio and a component video feed directly to the display from the cable box/sat receiver." I’d rather not.

I kind of wanted to have a choice on either listening to the TV speakers for just watching regular broadcast, or the AVR, but this seems like a lot more of a hassle

HERE IS THE YAMAHA RX-V665 Receiver, In looking at the specs,would I just be able to hook it up with my original idea...one HDMI from Display to AVR, and everything else into the AVR? - (Bluray,TW-DVR,CD/DVD player)
Please click on this -
RX-V665BL

What else do I need to do to get all the Audio/Video features from the AVR and the Display to play through all the 6.1 speakers? Anything at all, or am I good to go? Currently, I think there a few 5.1 Dolby programming channels on TV, and the 6th rear-center speaker matrixes along with the rear-right and rear left speaker.
I thought this AVR did it all where all I have to do is run one hdmi to AVR.

Thanks a bunch!
Don't HATE me because I'm electronically challenged.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Yes, this is true.
The optical out on tvs, is for getting 5.1 from a built-in tuner, while hooked up to an antenna. The very few tvs that will even pass the signal on (when going through the tv first), will downconvert the signal to 2.0, so the best you'll get from the receiver is pro logic. To get your HD audio from BD movies, you must use either HDMI or 5.1/7.1 multi-channel analog inputs of receiver. So your HDMI (audio & video) from the BD player must go through the receiver first. If you use the multi-channel analog outputs of a BD player, you can run HDMI straight to tv for video, and analogs to receiver for audio. But this will make more of a hassle when changing sources, unless you have a Harmony or similar remote.

I don't understand why anyone would ever want to listen to a tv's speakers, instead of their system..........
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Good luck!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Doesn’t really make much sense about the copyright laws when you think about it: Why would 5.1 be illegal for the TV, but not for the AVR?

Not that it matters in your situation. While it’s true that HDMI passes both audio and video signals, you’re already getting all the audio, surround sound, etc. from the AVR itself. So all you’re concerned about from the HDMI connection between the AVR and TV is the video signal.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

bozobytes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Ok and Thanks Wayne and ED...

The speakers I purchased are the 6.1 HSU performance VT-12 Ventriloquist system, (http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/performance2.html) and is an unconventional way of hooking up the speakers,with the left and right rear surround going to the receiver, but the left and right fronts are wired into their front center channel,then from the center to the receiver. The center has an on/off switch which on "on" gives it more presence. Instead of having the center-rear with it's own direct wire to the AVR. Also, the center rear has four wire posts so each of the rear surrounds are bi-wired to that center-rear speaker.

If I hook it up like the following,what result would I get?

I know this way, I would not be able to have a choice on listening to either the TV or the AVR? I thought this Yamaha 665 can do it all,with a basic config like this. Not using any tos digital audio. I read that people are running TOS digital out from Cable box to Receiver...do I have to?

1) One HDMI from Display (TV on wall) into receiver. (hdmi)
2) Time-warner DVR into the receiver. (hdmi)
3) Sony Bluray into receiver. (hdmi)
4) Progressive scan DC/DVD player.into reciever. (component)
5) OR get a new upconverter DVD/CD /Mp3/jpeg player with HDMI, then hook up the VCR using those component inputs ..I haven't thought about it for sure using the VCR.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
This connection scheme will work fine. In the instance of #4 - not sure why you are using two DVD players, but the receiver will upconvert the component video signal to HDMI (see Pg. 2 of your manual). However, you will need to add a digital audio connection between that DVD player and the AVR.

Regarding #5, VCRs don’t have component video outputs. The Yamaha will upconvert composite video (i.e. the yellow jack) to HDMI, so you’re covered.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

bozobytes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Wayne, ;)
What a busy Monday, eh? I do appreciate the help.

I might be using two DVD players (unless I can find a cheap Yamaha Ipod dock to play mp3's) because the Sony BD350 Blu-Ray does not support MP3 playback, and I like the menu visuals better on the Panasonic DVD/CD player with MP3's and Jpeg Photos.

Ohhhhhh...The Panasonic VCR is Composite, not component,which would free up my DVD/CD component cables into the receiver for that.

On the speaker 6.1 config. I'm thinking of using... That method I'm told by HSU Sound research would work with my 7.2 Yamaha RX-V665 AVR. I called time Warner and they told me the TWDVR box will send both the audio and video through HDMI.
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

bozobytes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
With this unusual, nontraditional speaker config.HSU Research VT-12 (6.1)Performance 2 Ventriloquist set-up has speaker wires out from the two L/R fronts, and in from the receiver to the center back connectors are the two fronts,and the center.

So it would be impossible to hide any wires in the wall.

I asked, "Any issues connecting this Yamaha RX-V665 to a 6.1 speaker setup by only running one HDMI from the Display to the receiver???"

answer-
There shouldn't be any problem with this.
No need to complicate matters. Because you have the latest in receiver technology, Yamaha RX-V665, you need not run any more cables to the back of the TV other than the HDMI that's already there in the wall. The Yamaha, when properly set up will pass audio to the TV via its HDMI output, and still utilize any audio bitsteam for the surround system. (See page 54 where you choose "AMP+TV" for the HDMI audio configuration.) In order to use the TV speakers only, you will have to power up the Yamaha (otherwise the HDMI output would be dead), but at that point you would mute the receiver and turn up the TV's speakers.

I asked, "Now, with this receiver, I'm thinking all I have to do is keep the one HDMI from Display to the AVR, and then all the other components into the AVR. In doing this, will I still get 6.1 from the display via the receiver?"

answer - You're not getting anything from the display; you're only sending video and stereo audio to the display. Otherwise, the answer to your question is yes!

I was told this…
"Put simply, if you run an HDMI from your display to the receiver you will only get 2.1 audio (some sort of restriction due to copyright laws) IS THIS TRUE?

answer -
Horsepucky. First of all, the wording implies that there's an HDMI output on the TV, which there most certainly is not. Yes the TV and all the other HDMI devices in your system must be HDCP (High Definition Copy Protection) compliant, which they are. But it isn't the TV that deals with the surround sound.

"You must pass all audio through the receiver first in order to get all the audio formats in proper 7.1."

answer -True.

"If you want to sometimes just have the display on without the receiver you can run a separate optical cable for audio and a component video feed directly to the display from the cable box/sat receiver."

asked - "In looking at the specs, would I just be able to hook it up with my original idea...one HDMI from Display to the AVR, and everything else into the AVR?"

answer -Yes.

"Currently, I think there a few 5.1 Dolby programming channels on TV, and the 6th rear-center speaker matrixes along with the rear-right and rear left speaker."

answer - The HDMI from the cable box will be hooked into the Yamaha and once that particular input is selected, the Yamaha will process any and all digital surround signals available on the cable channels.

"Variety is the spice of life."
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks