What's new

Yamaha YST-SW300 VS. HSU VTF-2 ....Help (2 Viewers)

Terry.P

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have the Yamaha YST-SW300 subwoofer. It is acceptable but I am looking to upgrade and feel that it is the weakest link in my setup. The Yammy is a 12" side firing active seveo subwoofer with a 185w built-in amp at 5 ohms. Frequency range is supposed to be 18hz-170hz (-10db) The bass is good but, I think it can be improved. It can get quite muddy and boomy at times.

I have been seriously looking at the HSU VTF-2. It's a 10" down firing with a 150 watt amp. Frequency reponse is 25hz-100hz at maximun extension mode.

Would the VTF-2 be more of a lateral move or a significant improvement? I would use the subwoofer for 90% HT & 10% Music.

Any comments would be appreciated.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I've never used that particular Yammy, but I did spend some time with the 'higher end' 10" YST-SW320? It was horrible. Supposed 250w down to 20Hz, but it could barely do 30, and most of the sound was port noise.

The HSU should completely kill the Yam. It certainly has the reputation.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
You really shouldn't mention Yamama and HSU in the same sentence...the HSU is in a totally different league of subwoofers.

Terry.P

Stunt Coordinator
You really shouldn't mention Yamama and HSU in the same sentence...the HSU is in a totally different league of subwoofers.
:) This is the reinforcment that I was looking for in the first place. I never really meant to compare them side by side. I was just trying gauge just how much better the HSU really is to people that may have taken the same or similar upgrade path.
I done some more research and now I am leaning more towards the VFT-3 or HN1220. Regardless, it's going to be a HSU!!! :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Like Colin, I used to own the Yamaha YST-SW320. It was pretty and small but it sucked. Below 35hz there was nothing.

So definitely go with HSU. Probably no comparison.

Phuong

Stunt Coordinator
The VTF-3 and 1220 are both tremendous subwoofers. Dr. Hsu has the 1220 laying on its side in his demo room, so he definitely sees no problem trying to make the sale with that configuration. I was already mighty impressed with the VTF-2, which I bought from him. The VTF-2 extends down to 24 Hz with authority, with usable bass down to 20 Hz. The VTF-3 and 1220 just rocked the house even more. Funny thing happened when he played 16 hz tones through the 1220. I thought I was hearing port noise, but it was more of the objects that were being rattled at 16 Hz. Wow. Whoever buys any of these subs will go home satisifed.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
The Yam 320 (heard this in a pawnshop, even after I tried to adjust it I thought it was horrible) sub's cabinet's too small, as is the port area (not even including length), and the quality of the amp is such that I don't believe that it's capable of the power that is claimed. HSU seems to have the right amount of volume (based on similar drivers modeled in Winisd), might have slight porting problems, but the amp seems capable; and this isn't even including the good DR's reputation as well. I think the VTF-2 is definitely a step up but the VTF-3 or one of the cylinder subs is the way to go for long term happiness imho.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
The VTF-2 would be significantly better. When I went from the VTF-2 to an SVS 20-39PC, the difference was incremental, not night and day. And I'm sure you've read enough on this forum to know that SVS goes both very deep and very loud.

Terry.P

Stunt Coordinator
When I went from the VTF-2 to an SVS 20-39PC, the difference was incremental, not night and day. And I'm sure you've read enough on this forum to know that SVS goes both very deep and very loud.
The 20-39 was on my list also but I believe that I can pick up a used or b-stock HSU for a couple hundred less than the SVS.

Marcus Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
The VTF-2 would be significantly better. When I went from the VTF-2 to an SVS 20-39PC, the difference was incremental, not night and day.
I agree 100% at normal listening levels ... They are both quality pieces, it's when the volume cranks that the
wolves are separeated from the sheep, lol

James Zos

Supporting Actor
"The 20-39 was on my list also but I believe that I can pick up a used or b-stock HSU for a couple hundred less than the SVS."

Terry, where can you get b-stock HSU subs?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks