What's new

Yamaha YST-800 Subwoofer Problems/Questions (1 Viewer)

Tom Steele

Auditioning
I just lost my second Yamaha YST-800 under similar circumstances and am looking for help, and suggestions as to what might have happened, and how I might repair the subs.

Last week, my power went off. This is fairly common for me. (Probably twice a month in the Summer.) It is usually uneventful.

Since the power was off, I went downstairs in the family room by a window and was reading.

I was lying next to the subwoofer when the power came back on. It was on a Panamax surge protector. It sounded like something was powering up, then I heard a noise like a match being struck. My stomach sank, and I turned on the system and sure enough, the sub exhibits the same symptoms as the previous one: It comes on, the green led is glowing, but it makes no noise.

I have tried switching the sub to "auto-on" when it senses a signal, but this does not work. Then the LED just sits on red and never acknowledges the signal. The power is on, but there is no noise coming from the sub.

The only differences in this scenario and my first YST-800 failure are that the first sub was not on a surge-protector, and I wasn't there when it fried. The symptoms are the same.

Surely this is a known problem. I can't have been the only unlucky person to get two bad ones.

Anyone with any experience with this, or ideas where to look?

I'd also add that in both instances, NOTHING ELSE in the house suffered any ill effects. JUST the subwoofers...

TIA,

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
Most likely the power supply on the amplifier died. Get it repaired if it is still under warranty, otherwise... Try to upgrade. It's a nicely looking small sub, but performance-wise, it left something to be desired ... At least for me... :)

Tom Steele

Auditioning
Well as much as I am irritated with Yamaha for giving me two YST-800's that have died during routine power outages, I loved the sound of the sub. Of course, my experience is limited with subs.

If that's a so-so sub, I'm gonna be thrilled with something better!

I have ordered a Velodyne SPL-1200 II and as long as the dealer was honest about having it in stock, then I should be reviewing it soon. I hate buying a sub without hearing it first, but I am geographically challenged when it comes to auditioning subs.

I'm hoping the SPL-1200 is solid enough that it doesn't need auditioning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks