What's new

Yamaha YPAO settings, what did you pick? (1 Viewer)

Bill**H

Stunt Coordinator
Just got my 1400 Friday. It replaced a Onkyo TX-SR500. I have Polk RTi70's, CSi40, 4 RTi38's and 2 Sony SA-WM 40 subwoofers. I calibrated all speakers to 75 dB with the internal tones on the Yamaha with volume set to 00. That makes the pair of Subs 81 dB. I watched Blade II yesterday and hit a 114 dB peak with the Radio Shack meter set on fast with the volume set to -10. That is in a 2900 cubic foot room and I sit 13 feet from the TV. I set the YPAO to EQ to the front speakers as the 70's are better than the rest. This receiver ROCKS! And yes it was too loud!

I listened to Dire Straits Brothers in Arms CD, closed my eyes and switched betweeen PEQ and GEO (set flat) several times fast so I would not know which I was listening to. I then listened to each for a while before switching to the other to see which sounded better. I picked PEQ about 90% of the time. The CD would not play as loud as the DVD.

So the question I have for you is, what did you pick for EQ, Front, Flat, Low, Mid or High?

I know everybody hears different, just looking to see what you think of the different EQ settings.

One more thing the tuner sucks! I live 60 miles from the only good Rock station and it will not pick it up in Stereo and the Onkyo did! It's on the same outside antenna...

Thanks,

Bill

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
This doesn't answer your question, but:
I have an Onkyo TX-SR501, and am considering the Yamaha 1400. I also have Polk speakers (only bookshelves though), so our systems are similar.

How do you think that the Yamaha compares to the Onkyo? Worthwhile upgrade?

Bill**H,

I just got my 1400 about a week 1/2 ago, and agree that it is an awesome receiver! Great sound, plenty of power, and excellent features.

As to your question, I have done the switch test between PEQ and GEQ myself, and really prefer PEQ. In my room there is no comparison, PEQ is MUCH better. Even my kids could tell a big difference and preferred PEQ. I ran the YPAO under flat and low, and preferred low and have left it there. I did play with my speaker settings and crossovers a lot, but settled on small speaker size setting and 90 hz crossover.

Bill**H

Stunt Coordinator
Justin,

I'm not a real good one to ask as I'm an old rock n roller who worked in an industrial setting for years. To me the Yamaha kicks the Onkyo's butt everywhere except for the tuner! I went from 5.1 to 7.1 in a big room and it's just more detailed and clear. I watched some of the nascar race today and PLIIx sounds very good, hell the commercials even sound good!

Find a dealer who has both receivers set up and listen to the same speakers on both. Take your Radio Shack meter and set both so the speakers are playing at the same dB level. If you don't your ears will trick you into thinking the receiver that is louder sounds better. When I A/B receivers I use just Stereo with only 2 speakers first. I spent hours between a Onkyo 501 and a Denon 2803 at one shop. Then I spent more hours between the Denon and Yamaha. I liked both but, I just liked the 1400 more and that was with out YPAO.

Bill

Joel()Les

Agent

That is an excellent suggestion. It is even more important when you visit more than 1 store to listen to equipment.
:emoji_thumbsup:

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
I think most people use flat. Has anyone tried high to see if they hear a difference... I have cc370 center and paradigm mini monitors as mains and atoms for rears. My rears are lesser qualities than my mains but I find that the flat setting works pretty good . Can anyoen try the flat settign if there rears are of lesser qualities..

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor

If I understand you correctly, you're not comparing apples to apples. You have the GEO set flat, but the PEQ is not flat. If you set the GEQ to the same settings that the PEQ derived, it would sound identical. Remember, the PEQ (with the front speaker settings you chose) will applly EQ to all BUT the fronts so that the rest of the speakers match the fronts built in EQ curve.

If you set PEQ to flat and the GEQ to flat, it still wouldn't be a valid comparison IMHO, since the PEQ is attempting to overcome ALL your speakers built in EQ curves to produce a flat EQ IN ROOM. The GEQ is simply setting all frequencies to flat BEFORE sending a signal to the speakers.

Clear? ;)

VicQ

Stunt Coordinator
Is there any way to turn the PEQ completely? If someone switches to GEQ and doesn't make any changes, is this one way of shutting down PEQ?

-Vic

Bill**H

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

I did not change any settings on the GEQ so I could see what the differance was between PEQ set to front and no EQ at all. That would be just turning PEQ off and on, would you not think?

Clear? ;)

I agree with Bill**H,

Comparing PEQ after running YPAO to the GEQ flat settings is a valid comparison to see what PEQ has done. With most receivers without PEQ you would be stuck with flat settings and your basic treble/bass controls

Parametric equalization is very different from graphic equalization, and setting the graphic equalization settings the same as PEQ will not get you to the same place. However, it may be a good starting point to start tweaking your GEQ.

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
Ok I have a question if I run the ypao and set the pq can i go in to the the geq and make some changes to it and then go back to the pq to see if I have set the geq to sound better than what the ypao set my pq at. By me trying to change the values of the geq, if i go back to pq will it still have my settings saved for my pq and not delete them. Moving to geq just disables the pq settign but once you go back to pq it doesnt delete them right... I hope you understand what im tying to say.

BruceD

Screenwriter
Actually in Yamaha's implementation (YPAO) the PEQ isn't wildly different than GEQ.

Why? Because YPAO has mfg-selected and hard coded (cannot be adjusted) center frequencies (very close to the 1/3 octave center frequecies used by GEQ) and a very limited bandwidth or "Q" range (not narrow enough like 1/60 octave) to limit the frequencies affected by the PEQ.

On the other hand, Yamaha should be commended for at least providing a better room-EQ system than many other receiver manufacturers who only provide GEQ or nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks