What's new

Yamaha YHT-493 receiver upgrading Sub (1 Viewer)

clanmjc

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Clancy
I purchased a HTiB setup a few years ago that has the Yamaha YHT-493 as the receiver. I've recently upgraded my center/L/R speakers and now that we have moved into a larger house the Sub just isn't cutting it like it used to. I wanted to know if I could hook up the Polk 505 or the Klipsch RW-12d to this receiver. There is only a Subwoofer output from the receiver. I thought everything would be ok, but once I started looking at pictures and investigating hooking up a powered subwoofer, especially to HTiB receivers I am now having my doubts. Will either of these subs work? I cannot upgrade my receiver at this time, but I will be in the future. Thanks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The left/right subwoofer connection found on many of them has ZERO bearing for you.
Connect your single sub pre-out to either left or right, makes ZERO difference which. If you happen to buy one and one of the L/R is actually marked "LFE"...use that one.

clanmjc

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Clancy
So if it has a L/R and in addition an LFE input, in that case I use the LFE? Thanks for your response.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Correct...
An LFE connection bypasses the crossover knob. Which anytime you can "cut out switches and knobs"...the better the signal you end up with. The Sony has bass management, which means you wouldn't be using the crossover on the sub...hence, you might as well bypass it...if you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks