Yamaha vs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay W., Jan 19, 2003.

1. Jay W.

Jay W. Stunt Coordinator

I am looking into getting a new reciever(i currently have a Denon AVR-87). I am looking at Yamaha, Marantz, and possibly another Denon. I am actually leaning towards Yamaha. I have read here there not great for music, but I will be using my reciever for about 75% to 25% in favor of HT. Also I am not that critical of a music listener ( I listen to music in 5 ch stereo rather than 2 ch). I wonder does that make a difference? Also Yamaha recievers that have 6 ch capability have a surround mode called DD/DTS EX that matrixs a third surround channel on normal 5.1 soundtracks. This really sounds good to me.

As for another Denon, there are no authorized dealers in my area. There are stores that carry Denon models but according to Denons website there are no authorized dealers in my town. Thats about enough to make me not want to get another one.

That leaves Yamaha and Marantz (authorized dealers in my town). I know that Marzantz are supposed to be more musical but how do they stack against Yamaha in the HT department?

My set-up includes Acoustic Research PS Speakers and a Sony SAWM40 sub. My room is not that big (13 x 12).

2. Jay W.

Jay W. Stunt Coordinator

Messed up on header. Should reader Yamaha vs Denon vs Marantz.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Jay,

4. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

I agree wholeheartedly with what Wayne said about the importance of the speakers ... But to answer your question, Yamahas sound great for home theater. For music too, for that matter, but you say that's less important to you. Yamahas give you more DSPs than you'll ever use, and they all sound great.

But Marantz also makes great equipment, so the good news you can't go wrong with either. Go have a listen, and have fun!

5. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

You can't go wrong with Denon either. The point is, it's not a competition. Just go and listen and choose whichever sounds best to you. A no-lose situation!

6. Jay W.

Jay W. Stunt Coordinator

I was actually looking at the folowing models

Yamaha RXV1200
    Denon AVR 1803
    Marantz 4300

The Yamaha RX-V2300 and Denon 3803 a little out of my price range. I'll go test the 3 above latter this week.