Yamaha vs Yamaha

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ellis E, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Ellis E

Ellis E Auditioning

I have the opportunity to purchase a DSP-A2 integrated amp or a 2095 receiver. I can get the A2 for $800 and the 2095 for $700 Both items were returned to store as is, they are in good working condition and the warranty is intact for both. Having the tuner in the 2095 will not benefit me because I do not listen to the radio, at least not now any way; I can purchase a tuner later on if the need for radio arises. I'm not really into home theater now even though I have the setup. Mostly, I like to put in CDs and listen to music. I currently have a Sony DTR-835 that I bought used from a friend. Since I'm new to HT I thought that it would take me a while to out grow the 835, it only took 6 mos. The 30s sound like they are begging for more power. I feel as though I missing something in the music. My mains are KLF-30s, center is the C-7 and I considering the RS-7s in the future. When I turn the volume up on the Sony my speakers clip at the "11"ish position. I'm sure that either would be a considerable step up from the sony but I solicit your input on both the A2 and the 2095. For curiosity sake, I've also looked at the Outlaw 1050, is this receiver in the same league as the A2 and 2095?
    Thanks Easyeyes

2. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Since you don't need a tuner, I say go with the A2...I have an A1, and it is a truly fantastic piece!

3. Matt Taylor

Matt Taylor Stunt Coordinator

Ellis,
    I have the DSP-A2 and I love it. I have used it for over 2.5 years, and I don't plan on replacing it any time soon. If you watch laserdisc at all, it has a built in RF Demodulator which the 2095 does not. It also has voltage so it can be used in the US, or Europe. The amps are the same as the 2095, and they are powerful. I am using it with NHT 2.5i mains and the DSP-A2 powers them with ease.
    Though seeing how it is a 3 year old receiver, it only does DD, and DTS, and there are only 4 digital inputs (5 if you use the DD RF) and one digital output. But despite that, I would highly recommend the DSP-A2

4. Ellis E

Ellis E Auditioning

Matt,
    Thanks for your reply. In your opinion, how does the A2 sound in 2 channel mode? Mostly all of the replies that I've read slammed it in this particular area. I have several friends who have the A1 it sounds really nice. I would just hate to purchase this and realize that it sounds like my sony. I'm more of a two-channel music listener than HT. I'm quite sure that the extra power would do wonders for the bass and clarity of sound coming from my KLF-30s.