Yamaha vs Pioneer DVD Player.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jesse Sharrow, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Jul 11, 2003
    I just bought a D-code pioneer DVD-656A DVD-audio/video player. I know it will be better than my toshiba DVD I have now. But I was walking around work today and saw a Yamaha DVDS1200, DVD Audio/Video player. First off it is black and Yamaha so it will match my receiver. But will I notice a sound Q difference between these two?

Heres my equipment.

Yamaha RXV-1400

Pair of Boston VR-950's

No sub as of yet.

Z2 speaker wire up front.
  2. Raj_Thiara

Raj_Thiara Agent

Dec 4, 2002
    I would suggest waiting for the Yamaha DVD-S1500 which is supposed to debut next month with MSRP $399 US. This one will be Faroudja-equipped and will also be a Universal (DVD/DVD-A/SACD). The previous Faroudja-equipped Yamahas were highly thought of by the guys doing the DVD benchmark.

The S1200 will not play SACD and is not Faroudja-equipped. It can be had for ~$300 used although the price should drop further when the new Yammie shows up on shelves.
  3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aug 5, 1999
    It’s pretty tough to tell the differences in sound quality from one DVD player to the next – especially with Dolby Digital which is a lossy compression scheme to begin with. I would expect any DVD player in that price range to be excellent.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt
  4. MarkGall

MarkGall Auditioning

Nov 1, 2002
    I own the Yammie dvd-s1200 and love it the picture and sound are awesome. It is a rebadged Panny rp-91 and retailed for 1k. If you can pick it up for a couple hundred bucks like I did it's a heck of a deal. I can't give you a comparison to the pioneer, Ive never heard it myself but I can tell you that you would not be disappointed in the Yammie. If SACD is inportant you may want to wait for the 1500 although having already seen a pic of one I don't think it is in the same class as the 1200.