Yamaha vs Marrantz

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob J., Apr 9, 2002.

1. Bob J.

Bob J. Extra

I just got back form auditioning the Marrantz 7200 and the Yammi 2200. I went in thinking the Marrantz would be more "musical" and would be my first choice. Was I ever wrong! When watching "Air Force One" I was impressed mostly with the Yammi's audio separation-those bullets seemed to be coming towards me from all angles! Neat! (Not so with the 6200) Then for the music....I found the Yammi to have a more level output over the marantz, something I preferred. I found myself garding my ears with the Marantz, waiting for the sound level to increase to the point of annoyance-nothing like this with the Yammi. As for tone quality, I wasn't really able to differentiate, but because my ears were "on guard" I might not have heard all there was to hear with the 6200.

My choice? Yammahammaha! So where can I find one online at the best price? (Authorized dealer)

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Not to nit pick, but what speakers, what modes, what sources...all these play a factor in your listening experience, and your opinion is less useful without this additional info.

3. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

great choice on the 2200. i just bought one myself and it is quite amazing. the new yammies sound sooooo much more fuller than the old ones. not nearly as bright. you are going to buy one at a good time. the msrp just went down to 999$ from 1200$. you should be able to find it for around 850$ to 900$. i cant recommend any place unfortunately because the only place i can buy higher line yamahas is tweeter and you will probably have to pay full price there. wish i could be more help but i just wanted to say great choice on receiver, it really is great. good luck

4. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

BobJ:

How about buying it from the dealer, without whom you would not have known how much you preferred the Yamaha?

Larry

5. Bob J.

Bob J. Extra

What? And pay full retail? :)

6. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

Get a deal. If it was my store, Id be pissed. If they were rude, thats different. BUY FROM THEM!

7. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Nobody pays full retail in a retail store, so long as they put a little effort into bargaining. When they quote you a price, all you have to say is, "you can do better than that, right?"

I don't like the idea of wasting someone's time, asking them to demo big-ticket items like a receiver, etc. and then buying somewhere else just to save $50. That $50 is worth it, knowing that this person helped me out, and they are getting the sales commision rather than some online store that offers zero service. Plus, they are easier and more timely to deal with if warranty service is required.

8. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

i have to agree with the previous posters. i paid 999$ for my 2200 at tweeter. i could have saved a little over 100$ on line but i did not feel that was right. my salesperson has been fantastic and has helped us out considerably. to the point where he would let us have the listening room with our speakers all hooked up and the receivers we previewed all to ourselves for over an hour. i would not have felt right putting him through all of that (probably losisng other sales) and then turn around and buy from somewhere else. i used to be a commision salesman and it is TOUGH work. these people do not get nearly enough credit. i know they irratate us at times but when we get a bad salesperson i simply ask for another salesperson. also, if you ever have a problem with the receiver it is a billion times easier to deal with the person who sold it to you than someone 2000 miles away who does not know you from a hole in the wall. it is the salepersons job to please you if you have a problem because they certainly do not want to lose the sale because that is money out of their pocket. i know it stinks to pay full or close to full price for something, but if it means better service than i think it is well worth it. good luck.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I agree with ChrisAG. I always try to buy big ticket items locally. Build rapport with your local dealers, as I have, and it is very easy to match or come close to internet prices without the wait or shipping cost. Not to mention that the next time you come in for something, it's easier to get a good deal from the same person...

10. phill clarke

phill clarke Auditioning

I agree fully on that comment. I established a contact with someone at the local "Good" Guys years ago. Everytime I needed something, he either helped me out with a deal or got me to someone who could. He even remembered me by name after not showing my face in there for more than a year. It's amazing what a little loyalty can bring out of a salesperson.

Too bad he left the area recently.

11. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I would go buy the Yamaha from a dealer not online. Go to a dealer that is willing to give you a good deal. Also if something goes wrong you know where to take it for warrenty work. If you buy it online where are you going to get it warrented? You will end up shipping it or getting the run around to find a shop. Also if you find a dealer you like you are more likely to get good advice and deals on future purchases.

12. MoG

MoG Stunt Coordinator

...and if you're credit card has a 'best price' feature, you can always price match against internetdealer.com after you buy from an authorized dealer.

Here's my story:

GoodGuys.com lists the RX-V2200 for $999, but will not sell it online per Yamaha's demands. I walked into a local GoodGuys and walked out 10 minutes later with a 2200 for $999 total after I mentioned the receiver was listed on goodguys.com for $999 no tax and no shipping. (the GoodGuys sales rep reduced the price of the receiver by the sales tax rate.) I also told the sales rep the receiver can not be purchased online (he already knew that though).

I then called my CC company and pricematched against a different online retailer who offered it for less than what I paid.

Best of both worlds. I'd be shocked if this was *not* common.

ps-I got the impression that lowering the item price by the tax rate so the total is the same as the GoodGuys.com price is something the B&M GoodGuys do quite often. Took no bargaining on my part, and the discount rate/code already existed in the system.

13. Allen W

Allen W Stunt Coordinator

Did you audition at Hillcrest Hi-Fi on Preston Road by chance? I know they carry both Yamaha and Marantz. I think they are an excellent B & M store and you should be able to talk them down 8 to 10% off of list. It is sometimes hard to get them to come off of retail when buying 1 item but I think they will do it. I have found them to have excellent service after buying several items over the years from them.