Yamaha VS Harmon Kardon

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

I just bought a yamaha RXV-440. Now I have a chance to maybe get a HK AVR-230. Would this be worth it? Reason I want it is it has preouts and S-video inputs and more digital inputs. But would I notice a sound quality difference at all? I have heard HK is more powerful than most units at its price point.

The other thing I could get would be an infinity Primus 10" sub. I have a big room though.

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Well if the yammie doesn't have pre-outs then that would be a bonus on the HK part. Then down the line you could add an external amp.

3. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

If you are upgrading for pre-outs then yes I would go to the H/K. Do you like the sound of your yammie? If you do the rx-v640 has pre-outs and it is 50$ less (msrp). It probably has more inputs as well but I have not specificaly checked. I had the rx-v620 before I upgraded and it had all of the inputs I ever wanted, with the excetion of pre-outs. The new 640 does so it seems like a great entry/mid receiver. Harman rates their receivers very fairly so It may be more powerful then the yammie with ALL CHANNELS DRIVEN, however you will VERY rarely be driving all channels at the same time so do not let that be a factor. They are both great receivers and you will not go wrong with either one. Try to audition the H/K before you get it as it is a different sounding unit then the yammie. Yamahas tend to accentuate the high end and low end as H/K accentuates the mid range. It really depends on what you like in a sound. I prefer yamie while many prefer H/K. let your ears decide.

4. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Hmmmmm.... well the thing im deciding on is, is it worth upgrading now or waiting till I can afford a full seperates system.

5. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Depends on what you have now and what you are looking at futrure wise....
    This is how I looked at it. I had pre-outs on the Pioneer so I was able to just add the amp(about a year later). Now Next time I can upgrade the receiver and be done for a little while.

6. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Seperates would of course be great. What a lot of people do and what you may want to do is find a good receiver that has the sound and features you like. Make sure it has all of the latest surround decoders, dts-es,dd-ex, dpLII etc. etc..... Make sure it has pre-outs for each channel. When you save up some cash get a nice 2 or 3 channel amp. You can then assign the amps on the receiver to only power the surrounds while the new power amp will power the fronts. This will also take the strain off of your receiver. I think this is a great way to go as receivers are usually updated quickly while processors may take a BIT longer.