Yamaha vs H/K

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by James C, Dec 15, 2003.

1. James C

James C Extra

About 3 weeks ago, when asking about what receiver to purchase, it was suggested that I find speakers that I like first. I have now done so:

Paradigm Atoms, CC170, PDR - 10

Now I am trying to decide between the Yamaha 2400 vs H/K AVR 630. I would appreciate some opinions that would help me decide.

Thanks

2. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

well, you should try and listen to them both...thats my first opinion...

then there are 8 differences, besides sound, that i see:

1) how comfortable are you at setting up your receiver? ie. how important is Yamaha's YRAO technology?

2) how important is hdcd to you? do you have a lot of hdcd cds?

3) what would you rather have logic 7 or dpl2x?

4) are you interested in lots of DSPs?

5) do you need a lot of power?

6) are you interested in 9.1 channels (front fx, for yamaha)?

7) do you need lots of digital connections?

8) does a fan bother you?

if you want room correction, 9.1, and dpl2x and have lots of digital connections and dont want a fan, the yammie is for you...(the yammie also has video upconversion and zone 2+3 if that is important to you)

if you want more power, hdcd, and logic 7, the H&K is for you...(H&K also has VMAx, can plug other units into it,

another consideration is that hte H&K costs more...

im not sure which one has better BM...

Rich

3. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

If you watch many TV shows that are in stereo and want them to sound like they are surround, Logic 7 is for you. That is one of the main reasons that I bought my H/K. I like the dynamic sound of the Yamahas (my friend has one and they sound great). But I watch much TV and Logic 7, in my opinion, does the best job at faking surround from a stereo signal. WAY better than that Neo 6 thing.

4. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I agree about Logic7. I was originally interested in the Yamaha reciever but I ended up not buying it because of Logic7 and because the HK offered more power and a much more nice front panel which sold me right there too.

The Yamaha offers more DSP's (which only some sound good and the rest bad i thought) and there extra front effects thing which i've never heard or know anyone who uses it.

The Yamaha does have a decent load of extra's if you want them... Either way the HK or Yamaha are both pretty good recievers and will do the job.

I personally love the HK series.

Good luck.

5. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

6. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

I heard but a few of the DSP's the other day and I thought they sounded great. Those Yamahas are awesome for music.
    You'll be fine going with the HK OR the Yamaha. Either one will please you, I'm sure.

7. James C

James C Extra

Thanks for the info. Think I am going with the HK>

8. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

Cool. My first system was four Atoms, a CC-170, and a PDR-10 with an HK AVR-225. It was a good system. I still have the Atoms, I'm using them as surrounds. They sound great.

9. Samuel Sonn

Samuel Sonn Auditioning

Dear,

James C., from alot of the threads I've read there has been some problems from the HK's. I myself have bought the Yamaha RXV-1400 and have been nothing but pleased. Crisp sound, reliable sound, and I've heard thing's from movies I've never heard before. I would recommend Yamaha. I've auditioned the HK's and there is a destinct quality that made me choose Yamaha.

Samuel Sonn

10. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

11. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

H/K is fine now. They had a lot of issues with the -20 and a few with the -25 but I would not be afraid of them at all now as many of the issues were with the first released receivers from those models. They quickly fixed the problems with the later released ones. H/K is built like a tank. I happen to own and prefer Yamaha but would give more serious attention wto H/K when I upgrade in a few years. Either way you will have a fine, well built receiver.

12. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    Ummm... according to the Yamaha web site, the RX-V2400 does NOT have front effects. It's straight 7.1 (that's 7 powered channels). I think currently only their flagship and the RX-V3300 have front effects. As for how good they are, no idea, but they can also be used for a 2nd zone which is always kewl.

- Mike

13. Tom_Mack

Tom_Mack Stunt Coordinator

The Yamaha 2400 does do the front effects, but you need an extra amp for the front channels or you can use the surround-back amps in case you do not want to use four surround speakers.

I have tried the HK 525 and currently have the Yamaha 2400 against my Paradigm Monitor series speakers and I would say definately go with the Yamaha. I felt the HK sound was very good for music, but dull for movies. Logic 7 was nice, but not all that much better than PL2. The delay in picking up digital signals on Dolby Digital and DTS movies drove me nuts. (Its a pet peave of mine.)

I feel the Yamaha is great at both music and movies (not dull at all and not bright either). I don't mind setting up a receiver at all, but the room optimizer/equalizer helped greatly with my rooms many acoustical faults.

Do yourself a favor and buy your receiver choice somewhere with a full refund return policy. If you aren't pleased with your first choice, try the other!

14. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael

15. ChrisLazarko

Just to talk about HK's tech support. My HK AVR-225 broke yesterday for no real aparant reason but it wasn't a huge suprise to me.

Anyways, I called them up and explained the problem. They said the following: "Send it there, if they cannot fix it then we will ship you out a brand-new unit."

Now that's good and I accepted that but I have one problem, I need a reciever by sunday. So i'm going to call again and explain the problem I am having now.

Hopefully I would get somewhere, but the guy was very helpful before and it didn't seem like they had a problem giving me a new unit.

16. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Chris,

Plan "A":
    I'm sure H/K might be able to cross-ship you a new receiver. I would just ask them. They might want to take your credit card number to secure the price of the receiver that they would send you until they receive your old one. Just give it a try.

Plan "B":
    Cough ... Cough ... Cough ... Head to Circuit City (or another similar retailer) and purchase a new receiver for "demo" purposes so that you have it this coming Sunday when you need it. Then, return the receiver once H/K ships you the replacement. Cough ... Cough ... Cough ...

17. ChrisLazarko

hehe I like plan B. Pick up a 7200 and "try it out" for 2 days or so, bring it back and sorry but umm I don't exactly like it. Well we will see what happens. I really am interested in the 230. I like the fact it has the triple-crossover and also that you get component video with it. I wish it was in black but the new style is always cool.

Thanks for the ideas, if I can't get a new one from them then it might be time for a quickie demo.