yamaha vs denon

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by FrankP, Apr 16, 2004.

1. FrankP

FrankP Auditioning

I am looking to replace my Kenwood Vr-309 receiver and have narrowed my choices to the Yamaha 1400, Yamaha 750 or Denon
    2803. Does anyone have any reccommendations about any of these receivers? The Yamaha 1400 is pretty much selling for retail (799) in my area, but I can pick up the Denon for 699. I have not found the Yamaha 750 anywhere yet.

thanks
    Frank

2. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Either receiver would serve you well. Listen to them both, compare features, and decide w/ your ears.

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Check Ebay. There was a vendor selling the RX-V750 for $399 using "Buy It Now" and their shipping charge was approx. $35.00. However, you should check with the vendor before making the purchase to see if they are authorized to sell the receivers so that Yamaha would honor the warranty if service was required.

As far as the Yamaha vs. Denon debate, Kevin has provided the correct advice. Take the time to listen to both and see what sounds best to you.

Now, when it comes down to value, I think the new Yamaha receivers are providing some nice features for not a lot of money. Denon should be coming out with the replacement for the AVR-2803. Otherwise, you'd have to go up to $1,200 and get the AVR-3805. I don't think I'd consider the 1804 and 2803 models right now because they don't have all of the latest features.

4. FrankP

FrankP Auditioning

Thanks for the feedack. Sunshine electronics is not listed as an authorized reseller on Yamaha's site. I am going out today to listen to both of the Yamaha's and Denon models.
    I am leaning toward the Yamaha 750, but want to hear it first. Authorized dealer in town is 599 for the 750, fifty dollars off of MSRP. Hard to believe Sunshine can sell the same for 250 off MSRP.

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Frank,

Given such the dramatic cost difference, in that situation I might be tempted to "roll the dice" and go with the cheaper receiver because of the savings.

I think that vendor has been around for a while. They might offer some form of warranty on the product through their own service area. Plus, they'll probably try to sell some form of extended warranty such as the Mack warranty for another 3 years. Those things run about $45.00.