Yamaha V740 Help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Scott00, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Scott00

Scott00 Auditioning

I just got the Yamaha v740 receiver with energy 5.2 Speakers. I have all speakers pass the tone test but for some reason only the Main Left and Right speaker show on the front display and the rear speakers are not being amplified through my TV & tuner. I don't have a DVD player yet but I am quite sure that this is a receiver setting. Anyone familiar with this receiver and know what foolish setting I have done wrong?

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    You are probably only seeing the front left and right speakers showing in your display, because all your tv and tuner is producing, is a stereo signal. Neither one is gonna show a surround signal, unless you have a digital cable box or a Dolby Digital satellite receiver, for your tv programs. You can get PL II (Pro Logic II, simulated surround) sound for regular tv and tuner programming. That will play sound through all the speakers, but will still just show front left and right in the display. For it to show all the speakers lit up in display, you'll have to be receiving a Dolby Digital or dts signal, into your receiver, from your source.

To process the stereo signal, into a PL II sound, you may still have to activate the receiver, to put out a digital signal (not sure though). Even if you don't have to, it won't hurt anything to go ahead and do it, so it will be ready when you get your dvd player. Go into the receiver's setup menus and double check all your settings for digital output. You have to let your receiver know that you have 5 speakers hooked up to it. If you have a subwoofer, you'll probably have to enable that in the settings too. Set your speakers to large or small. Small if you want all the LFE (bass) signal to go to the subwoofer. Large if you want LFE to be distributed to speakers.
    Set the distances of each speaker from your usual sitting position (sweet spot).

Without a digital source, anything you want to listen to with a surround effect, you'll need to set the receiver's mode to PLII. As I said, it's a simulated surround, but better than nothing. Actually, it sounds pretty good. Just not as good as DD 5.1 surround.
    Good luck, and enjoy!

3. John S

John S Producer

To get surround at all from Standard Cable or over the air Standard broadcast, the following must be met.

The Tuner must be stereo with two analog outs L/R.
    The particular station must broadcast the stereo signal.
    The source material the station is broadcasting must also be stereo and have surround encoding on it.
    The receiver/avr must have at least one of the following DPL, DPLII, DPLIIx, DTS Neo:6....

best of luck with it.

4. Scott00

Scott00 Auditioning

Thanks for the input, the ProLogic II setting has increased the rear amplifcation. However I have Digital cable (Motorola Digital Cable Box) and I have S video to my TV and I have the audio going to my Receiver. With having my audio going from cable box direct to my receiver I still do not see all speakers on the display(surround). Is this normal, again I have checked all settings on the receiver over and over. Again thanks for the assistance (I hate being a newb)

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Moved to receivers/separates/amps

6. John S

John S Producer

If the requirements are meant you should have it, they would also apply to digital cable.

Not all programs/channels are stereo, let alone have surround, let alone have DD 5.1 surround.

7. ZachT

ZachT Auditioning

I use to have the yammie v540. The pics showing up will represnt the source to the receiver. Like if a stereo sound is coming in, you will see the L and R light up. If mono you would see a L, lets say. If you get a DVD player and a 5.1 dvd you will see the L C R sL sR and LFE light up. I also have a Motorola cable box. You must use a spdf out or optical out. I had to make my cable company special order a cable box with these outputs. Then only the digital 200 and up channels are in digital sound. Digital 2 channel sound. If you want dolby digital sound you must get stars, hbo, etc and then only some movies are in dolby. The Yamaha was hard to understand at first but you'll get use to it. I took back my yammie for a denon 1804 and wish I still had the yammie. Keep the yammie. Ty

8. Scott00

Scott00 Auditioning

ok Thanks guys.Last explanation answers my digital cable requirements. The system seems to be booming pretty good and I will soon be splurging for a new dvd player to fully enjoy the system, Thanks again~