What's new

Yamaha users please help - speakers humming (1 Viewer)

bruin

Second Unit
I just got a Yamaha Rx-v520 (like the Htr-5450?).

This is my setup:
2 speakers for stereo, a sub, a sub amp, and the Yamaha.

For some reason when I turn on the "effect" button I get humming from my mains (the receiver doesn't hum, just the mains) even at the lowest volume setting. When I leave the effect button off everything is great.

Also, when I press the "effect" button there is a loud pop like the Yamaha just sent my speakers a jolt!

I don't know if this is because I only have the mains connected? Has anyone experienced this problem or is this normal for a 2channel setup?

I also own a HK320 and used to own other entry level receivers and this is the first time I've encountered this.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Bruin, the effect button on your receiver is for when you want to use the various dsp surround modes, such as 5 channel stereo, digital adventure, general, concert hall etc... All of these modes are used when other channel of the receiver are being used ( center, rears). Since you do not have these hooked up that may be one of the problems. The other issue may be how your receiver is set up. Check in the receivers menu that you selected "none" for center channel and rears. Not sure if that is the cause but you never know. I had an rx-v620 and did not experience and humming nor do I with my current rx-v2200. You may want to check the surge protector you are using, or are you using one? maybe try a diffrent outlet. Also what is the condition of your speaker wire. These are all very minor things that probably have nothing to do with humming but I would check it all anyway. Your receiver comes with a 2 year waranty so it may still be covered. If nothing works, call Yamaha before you go digging into the guts of the receiver. Hope I helped a little. Good luck

bruin

Second Unit
Evan, yes I've checked everything you said including checking if the speaker wires are reversed etc. It can't be my speakers? I was just using them a few days ago.

My speakers are 6ohm speakers is that why they are humming?

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I would say that you have a defective reciever and you need to go exchange it, I've got a 730 and have no issues with popping or humming etc from the effects button, the effects button activates a digital DSP chip not an analouge circuit so it should not at any time induce noise unless there is a serious problem with it.

bruin

Second Unit
ok jeremy thanks

Also when I hooked up my plate amp with the receiver...if i leave the amp to auto on, when i turn on the receiver, my sub likewise gets a jolt

what a weird defect

Marc H

Second Unit
Do you have the sub amp plugged into one of the electrical outlets on the receiver by chance? If so, that's a no-no. Limits the current and weird things can happen.

bruin

Second Unit
i have the amp plugged into a different outlet altogther BUT this particular outlet is where I plug my computer and monitor in. would this be like having the receiver and amp in the same outlet?

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
Just a stab in the dark, but I would also check the impedance switch on the back of the receiver and make sure it's in the right setting for your 6 ohm speakers.

bruin

Second Unit
yup that's done. I'm going to go exchange it right now. i'll keep you guys posted. thanks for the help!

bruin

Second Unit
Problem solved -it was defective. Got a new one and now there is no jolt to my rythmik amp and no jolt when pressing the dsp button. Thanks for the help guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks