What's new

Yamaha Upgrade...worth it? (1 Viewer)

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
I'm seriously considering upgrading my old Yamaha RX-V800 to the RX-V1400. Would this upgrade really be worth the extra money? My RX-V800 still works perfectly.

What would be a fair trade in amount for my mint condition RX-V800?

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
Input would be greatly appreciated as I would like to take care of this by the coming weekend.

Daman

Second Unit
Walt, would suggest you have a look at HTR5790 as well, its internals are the same as RXV 1400, just the casing is different and theres a considerable difference of cost between the two.

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
Most places I've seen, locally, the prices are the same for both the HTR-5790 and RX-V1400 ($799).

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
I recently upgraded from an RX-V496 to an RX-V2300, which I got a great deal on because it's last year's model. I use it mostly for music but also for the occasional movie. Was it worth it? For me, yes. The sound is similar but fuller and more powerful with the newer receiver. And the bass response is better.

As for the value of your old receiver ... well, you're better off holding onto it to use in another room. But for reference, searh ebay and see what similar used models are selling for.

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
This Friday I'm considering upgrading to the RX-V1400. Is there a difference between DPL II and DPL IIx? Will I notice a difference in these formats from my old standard DPL?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

DPL II is a whole different beast when compared to regular old Dolby Pro Logic. DPL II was a major revision. DPL IIx, on the other hand, is similar to DPL II - with the exception that it was designed to work with 6.1 and 7.1 sound systems. If you are just running 5 speakers and a subwoofer, you will not be able to tell any difference between DPL II and IIx. However, if you jump to 6 or 7 speakers, DPL IIx will then become valid.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
DPLII improves on standard DPL by making the surrounds full frequency range and also matrixing "discrete" surrounds, giving you quasi-5.1 sound from 2 channel sources-the .1 being derived via bass management which is a standard feature of all DD/DTS capable decoders.

DPLIIx does the same except that instead of getting 5.1 you can get 6.1 or more desirably 7.1. It will create a matrixed rear center channel from 2 channel and 5.1 sources, and if you use 2 back surround speakers it will give you stereo in the rear surrounds instead of the mono back center channel derived from DTS-ES or DD-EX.

Either is a big improvement over the old DPL, and PLIIx is very nice over PLII if you ever contemplate going to a 6.1 or 7.1 setup.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Damn, Steve. We said essentially the same thing - but only 2 minutes apart. :)

I guess great minds do think alike. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks