What's new

Yamaha TSR-7850: Problem with AirPlay (1 Viewer)

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
So, I've got iTunes (v 12+) on my PC (Windows 10 20H2) and would like to play the music through the receiver. Have wifi in house, but no smart phone. But, I just can't get it (viz., read the manual to no avail) and would appreciate it if someone can give me some guidance. Thanks.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I only have Apple based stuff, but once the receiver is connected to your network (either with WiFi or wired) it should show up in the playback locations in iTunes, represented by a wedge with three circles. You play something in iTunes, click on that symbol, which produces a drop-down menu, and the receiver should be on the list. Check it and wait for it to connect.

Unfortunately, you haven't said what you have done and what's not working, so I have no idea where the problem is. I can only explain the procedure. It can take several seconds for the receiver to connect and start playing music.

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
Thanks, John. I don't have an existing problem (yet,) but was bogged down on how to proceed...to which, you have been helpful. My receiver is wified and iTunes is on the PC, but I didn't start because I have no idea where that circled wedge symbol is (could you be more specific as to the location, also.) Nonetheless, I do think you are saying that with the receiver ON and iTunes playing from the PC, I should see that circled wedge somewhere on the face of iTunes? Sound pretty simple and automatic. Just need some confirmation before starting.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

AP Capture.JPG

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Peter gave the info, including the symbol I'm talking about. BTW, that symbol turns blue when it is connected to anything on AirPlay. It's grey when it isn't.

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
Appreciate your help, guys, but I must be doing something wrong as I do not see the circled wedge symbol when I have a tune playing on the PC and the receiver ON. Nor do I see the symbol when iTunes is OFF. Attached is a shot of the iTunes screen not showing any symbol.

Attachments

• airplay.JPG
    airplay.JPG
    274.3 KB · Views: 56

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's not there. I guess you need to activate something in iTunes. I found THIS, which is old, but maybe the instructions will still take you in the right direction.

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
Followed your lead, John and did what I was supposed to: "To send content to the Apple TV or stream from iTunes on your PC you need to enable homesharing from the iTunes advanced menu and then enter the same details in settings/computers on the Apple TV. Once enabled iTunes will show the Apple TV as an Airplay device from the bottom right hand corner of its window." But it didn't work and I got this error message: "Home sharing could not be activated because of an error (5506)." But, at least I got the receiver's screen to show AirPlay by turning the knob on its left. Guess I'm going to have to go to an Apple forum for further help.

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
Still having a problem. Contacted Apple help, but they couldn't solve the issue which was: I was having trouble establishing my Apple ID because when asked to agree to Apple's privacy and terms, nothing was happening. Selecting Continue=Agree on the Complete Your Apple ID screen did not do anything, and thus I could not continue on. Will be trying again today.

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
Finally, for real, got the airplay working on iTunes. Wound up using my wife's apple id/pw as mine just wasn't being recognized. But, still not working on the receiver. Interestingly, when clicking on the airplay symbol, the receiver is not in the dropdown. I'm thinking the most likely problem is that I don't have my computer and receiver on the same wifi network. Now I have to find out how to hook the receiver into the network...even though I thought it already was???

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
All is now good. Finally got the receiver and PC to recognize each other. Had several corrections to make, but all works fine and the music sounds great over AirPlay.

Users who are viewing this thread