Yamaha SW- 2 sub, time for upgrade? I need help please

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Dustin Wind, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Dustin Wind

Dustin Wind Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    My current system is all brand new:
    Pioneer 563A
    Yamaha HTR - 5650
    65inch WS HD Toshiba 57HX83
    and about $1500 in wiring/cables.

except my sub and my JBL speakers are 2 years old.

My sub is a Yamaha SW-2, 120 volts, 50 watts, 60 HZ.

Does this sub compliment this system? Or is it time for a upgrade?

how much difference can a sub make in terms of upgrading? I have no clue what advantages it would be if i upgrade...if i need to that is.

Thanks a ton guys!

Dustin

2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Upgrading your sub to even the smaller of the SVS will simply astound you. The upgrade will be well worth it to you and is probably the biggest gain when upgrading an HT system. Send SVS an email with your room size dn sytem adn tehy'll help you figure out which is right for you.
    Of course, there are several subs that would be killer including Paradigm, Adire, HSU, etc. It's just that SVS gets a lot of attention around here and deservably so.

3. Dustin Wind

Dustin Wind Stunt Coordinator

What does SvS stand for?

4. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Good question but I honestly don't know. Perhaps it's "Super Vucking Subs" or something....LOL

5. Jeff Aguilar

Jeff Aguilar Stunt Coordinator

Jeff
    Their last names, Ron Stimpson and Tom Vonhanel Subwoofers. Nothing fancy, just there names. No wonder they put out such a good product, their names are attached to every single one of them. [​IMG]

Jeff Aguilar

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

It appears as though your sub is not of the caliber of your newer equipment. You should get a great deal of added emphasis on the LFE portions of films with another sub. I would not expect that the Yamaha would be able to produce enough volume to fit in with the rest of your system—at least at higher listening levels.. You are probably missing quite a bit of the lowest frequencies as well. Depending on your main speakers, you may not be missing that much in music (unless you listen to a lot of pipe organ CDs. On the other hand, if your speakers are on the small side, a different sub will nicely fill out missing bass. Finally, though I have not listened to your particular sub, most of them in the class have a lot of emphasis in the 60 Hz region (to make up for being deficient in lower frequencies). This leads to the sort of ‘one-note’ bass that is prevalent in car audio.

A few questions Dustin: which JBLs do you have, what is your budget for a new sub, and what size room do you have?

There are a lot of subs that might fit your needs—it sort of all depends.