Yamaha Subwoofer / Pioneer Receiver Help

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Korey R, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Korey R

Korey R Extra

I received the Yamaha YST-SW215 subwoofer for Christmas to add to my home theater system. I got the Monster Bass 300 subwoofer cable for it. I also got the Sony SLV-D350P DVD/VCR combo player.

I got the combo player hooked up and it works great. My problem is I can't get the subwoofer to work. It will power on but no sound will run through it. I think I might have a setting wrong on my receiver since it's not recognizing it. I have tried to adjust the volume setting on the sub, all the other settings on it but it makes no difference.

My receiver is a Pioneer VSX-D412. I have the subwoofer cable running from the left input on the back of the sub (as shown in the subwoofer manual) to the subwoofer preout on the back of the receiver (like what is shown in the receiver manual.) For the combo player I have a digital optical cable from the optical out on the player to the optical in on the receiver.

Some of the settings I have set for the receiver are:
    1. 4.1 ch (I don't have a center speaker; I have two front, two surround, and the subwoofer.)
    2. Sound mode: Advanced
    3. Input signal: Auto
    4. Effect: Midnight
    5. Speaker setting: FL-C*-SL, Subwoofer setting: PLS (says use this for extra bass, if I set this to ON, no difference.)
    6. Optical digital input setting: DVD

The receiver display shows: signal auto digital, adv surround, midnight and its set to DVD/LD.

I have gone through the manuals about three times now with no success. I was really looking forward to having the subwoofer as an addition to my system but it's really frustrating that I can't get it to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

2. JohnCZ

JohnCZ Stunt Coordinator

Is there a sitting for the size of speakers?
    If you set your fronts to "Large" then the sub will not be used. You need to set your fronts to "small".

J

3. joseFMJ

joseFMJ Stunt Coordinator

Plus there should be a setup menu in the avr for the sub, such as crossover freq., level, and a selection for YES SUB or NO SUB.

4. Korey R

Korey R Extra

JohnCZ...according to the receiver manual it says that anything with a cone size (diameter) larger than 5 inches, to set the speaker size to large. I tried to set my fronts to small like you said and still nothing coming from the sub. I even cycled through the speaker size options that are preset and it didn't affect the sub.

joseFMJ...the setup options for my receiver for the sub are "ON, PLS, OFF". I have it set to "ON". The crossover frequency is not available if I have the speakers set to large. When I set them all to small, the default cross freq. is 100 Hz and I have the choices of 100, 150, or 200 Hz.

The front speakers that I'm using are older style speakers that are about 2 ft. high with a few 5 inch round individual speakers. The surround speakers are a newer style speaker which is 1 1/2 ft. high with the biggest individual speaker being about 8 inches across. So with that I figured I would set both front and surround to large.

5. JohnCZ

JohnCZ Stunt Coordinator

Your sub will produce more of the lower end sound then your towers. A cross-over of 100 is a good starting point.

So from your notes:
    You've set all the speakers to small. (If my Pioneer is set to large then no subwoofer will be used.)
    You've set the receiver to "Sub On".
    Checked that your sub is turned on and not blown a fuse.
    Do you have a spare subwoofer cable? (It maybe the cable).
    Are your mains playing or is everything off?

John

6. Korey R

Korey R Extra

Yeah, my speakers setup is set at FS-C*-SS. The subwoofer is set to "ON" automatically the manual says since I set the speakers to small. The cross-over is set to 100. The lfeatt is 0, the fch is 10ft., the cch is non, the sch is 5ft., the drc is off, says ch1, coax is off, opt. is set to dvd.

I read the subwoofer manual again and realized that I had the sub cable reversed. There's an arrow on the cable itself with the direction of the signal flow. Well I had the arrow pointed in the direction of the sub instead of away from the sub. I didn't realize this, I'm learning all about this as I go.

Well I put my hand over the open circle on the side of the sub and I can feel some air but not much. I adjusted the high cut and the volume on the sub (have to go to about over half way on volume before I can even feel any air at all and notice any difference) but I really can't get any bass at all. In fact if I turn the sub off while listening to something I can't tell a difference if the sub is on or not.

Any suggestions? I thought by getting the sub I would get better bass but so far I can't tell the difference.

Thanks for any help.

7. Nathan W.

Nathan W. Stunt Coordinator

That "midnight" effect is probably what's doing it. Your receiver may be attenuating the bass signal for midnight viewing or listening so as not to disturb the neighbors. Try switching the "effect" to something normal.

I hope that's it.

8. Korey R

Korey R Extra

I think I finally figured out what was wrong. As I expected it was a receiver setting. On my receiver I can adjust the relative volume level of each channel. Well when I first got the receiver last year I didn't have a sub so I adjusted those values for the fronts and the surrounds. Well when I plugged my sub into the receiver it now lets me adjust the sub value too. It was set at 0dB. I turned that value up and my sub is sounding great! I have the sub volume set just over half way which is a lot better then having to have it cranked all the way up like I did before I found that setting.

If you notice any other setting from my notes that I may have wrong, please let me know but like I said the sub sounds great right now!

Thanks a lot for all your help everyone.

9. Nathan W.

Nathan W. Stunt Coordinator

Did you try turning off the "midnight" setting like I suggested? Even "just over half way" on the level control seems high. And 0db for the sub setting in the receiver may be the center point of it's range. At least that's how my Kenwood is. I can go above or below 0 to a value of 10/-10.

10. Korey R

Korey R Extra

Yeah, I turned off the midnight effect. I went through the effect settings (off, midnight, loudness) and found that the midnight effect sounded the best but no bass so I went with the loudness effect which sounded better then nothing at all. I now have good bass and it sounds good.

I can go to +10 or -10 on the sub volume level. The higher I go (+) the more bass the sub will produce it seems.