What's new

yamaha sound fields (1 Viewer)

Fletch

Agent
I have a Yamaha 520 and need to know what sound field is best for dvd-audio discs.I have tried experimenting with each one,but the sound is too reverb in theatre mode and too tight in others.I use a pair of old Klipsch floors front and smaller books for rears.any ideas?

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
The best sound field for dvd-audio?
Personally speaking, NONE.
(I am assuming you are using the disc's Dolby Digital or DTS track to do this; or does Yamaha's DSP feature also work with the receiver's multichannel input?)
I do use tone controls to help with really bad sounding recordings, but that's it. But any DSP applied to a source that is already in multichannel form is a no-no for me. Those recording engineers and artists spent a lot of time getting that mix just right.
But if you like the effect, go for it.
LJ

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Most audiophiles leave the DSP modes off for music. I do find I like some of them for TV sports and I like the "Enhanced Theater" mode for most action/adventure movies.

But the DSP modes are like spices in your food. Play around and find one you like, or leave them off according to your taste.

Fletch

Agent
My problem with no sound field is that it only comes through in stereo.So far the best sound is in the enhanced d.d. mode,but I seem to lose some space with it. when I listen to regular cds they sound fine with no sound field.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Fletch - Are you SURE you have 6-channel input for your DVD-A?

Are you ALSO sure you have a DVD-A player (i.e. Toshiba SD-4800)?

RobertSchaez

Stunt Coordinator
First, To listen to true DVD-Audio, you must:
1. Have a DVD player capable of DVD-A playback and have it
set for multi-channel playback.
2. Have the 5.1 analog outputs on the back of that player
connected to the 5.1 channel analog inputs on the back
of your receiver.
3. Choose 6 Channel Input on your receiver.

To answer your question about DSP modes and DVD-Audio... Unfortunately, you cannot use any of the DSP modes with the 6 channel analog input. It bypasses the digital part of the receiver and therefore it can't add any digital processing like DSP modes.

Fletch

Agent
I have a 4800 Toshiba that I just bought.My receiver is about 2 yrs. old.Because i am at work when i am chatting here i have to wait til i get home to try your suggestions.I don t recall seeing a 6 channel dsp mode.It does show the bit rate code for about a second before the display goes back to DVD.I appreciate all of the input and will check it out when i am home.It may be a day or two before i am online so don t give up on me. THANX for the input.

RobertSchaez

Stunt Coordinator
Fletch,
Check the front of your 520, there should be a small button to the right and a little below the Volume knob labeled 6 Channel Input. When you press that, it activates the 6 channel analog input jacks that are connected to your DVD player. When you play a DVD-Audio disk, make sure you have the player set to play back that format, not D.D. (I'm not familiar with your player, so I'm not sure if you need to select anything in a menue). That should give you discrete 5.1 channel music.
Yamaha set up the 6 channel input for any new future format, but I'm guessing they wouldn't possibly know how their digital DSP processing would interact with a new format they hadn't seen yet, so they don't allow you to use them (DSP modes) when you listen through the 6 channel inputs.

Steve WC

Stunt Coordinator
Fletch,

Just checked the manual for my Yamaha 5440. I have settings called Dolby Digital Normal And DTS Normal.

The manual states " In these programs the digital sound field is not turned on".

Steve

Fletch

Agent
Thanx Robert on showing me the light on my six channel mode.Now I see why DVD audio is so much better than the rest. I just got the new Gluey Bros. stiff for the elders and the surround is awsome!All I am buying from now on is this format.Thanx again!

RobertSchaez

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Fletch,
Glad to hear you are up and running. DVD-Audio discs only sound as good as the mix. Some sound great (I really like Fleetwood Mac "Rumors"), some sound like they just threw the mix together to get it into 6 channel. I hope they keep coming out with new titles, maybe new material recorded with 6 channel in mind. I would love it if bands like Radiohead would try a DAD-A release.

Don't forget, if you like 6 channel music, there is also DTS. BTW, who are the Gluey Bros?

Fletch

Agent
The Gluey Bros. are a band from the southwest,or maybe Cali.The reason I bought the disc was the price.Only 13.00 and some change.Never heard of them before.After finding it for sale on amazon I did some research on other websites, liked what I read and am very pleased with the purchase.The sound field on 6 channel is quite spacey and unlike most DVD-As it has a modern feel.Kinda like the Tubes first two albums only with a 2002 flair.Has some naughty language,though not gangsta thug.If you like Zappa,Tubes,Beefheart and such this might be up your alley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks