What's new

Yamaha S-2500 universal player - DCDi, HDMI, i.Link, video scaling (1 Viewer)

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
^^ That's a good point. If that amazing Integra 10.5 is any indication, I would expect that Denon 5910 to be AT LEAST 2 grand MSRP. That's when you start getting into another realm of buyer altogether.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Denon has already said that the list price for the 5910 will be ... $2500. That's put it square up against the 10.5. Only time will tell which one is the "winner". :)

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
And that puts it completely out of my consideration. The only way I'd pay that is if it's Blu-Ray, HD, the whole nine yards and I'm future proofed for years to come.

I know it's all relative. $200 to me might be like $2000 to someone else, but...I just can't really see spending that kind of money in this phase of the marketplace. Not when the next turnover is really not that far away.

That being said, if I win the lottery anytime soon, guess what's gonna happen? :D

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
We won't know where these dvd players stand until the Panasonic S97 comes out. It has the potential to be a market breaker for value for the money.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Panasonics as of late, haven't been so great. They went away from Faroudja. Plus, they have always had a noticeable layer change. And, they still haven't done a universal player, so that knocks it out of the running for a lot of us. But for straight DVD video performance, will be interesting to see what they are up to now.

Eric- I agree. I would have a hard time spending over $1500 for a player that I know will be obsolete in a few years. I would heavily bet that the 2510 won't have BluRay or HD-DVD support.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I understand about there lame all-in-one chips, as far as some people are concerned. They aren't great. But their interlaced performance is good, IE good MPEG decoders and no Chroma bug. The S97 should have faroudja, so we'll wait and see.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I had heard that Faroudja is back. :) Will be *quite* interesting to see if it has "macroblocking" or not. In the back of my mind, if Panny does come out with a "Denon killer" for video, then I'd just keep my 47Ai for audio. Never have had a problem with it for that. But Panasonic has to get rid of the layer change delay too.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
When is the Panasonic S97 due out? Is there any literature, pictures, or info out about that unit?

I'm also trying to gauge what the differences between the 2300 mark 2, which I can get for $650 right now, are vs. this forthcoming 2500. See if the wait is worth it...

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
^^ Thanks! Now, I can't convert yen to American dollars, but by my best knowledge, that yen figure doesn't seem terribly high. Ballpark, how much you figure that price is in American dollars?

FeisalK

Screenwriter
http://www.oanda.com/ says USD$1.00 = Y 110.8,
S97: 50KYen ~ $450
XR70: 75K yen ~ $677

However I believe XR70 already has a pricing in the US of about $400? (Froogle it) It should be thereabouts as its going to be a replacement for the XR45

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I have just received an email from Yamaha themselves stating that the s2500 will begin shipping at the end of October.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I have now received a PDF from Yamaha with the specs and pictures of the Yamaha s2500.

I can't post it here because I don't know how. You can PM me and I'll email you the PDF, otherwise:

Email [email protected] and ask him for it and he'll send it to you.

Looks nice at this price!

Richard_B

Stunt Coordinator
This is a player I was looking forward to hearing about. I currently have a S2300 mark 1 and I have been very pleased with the unit overall. I bought it over a year ago for a very good price. My only two complaints with the unit are the layer change time and there is no power button on the remote (not sure what they were thinking). I do think the MKII now has the power button on the remote. I have never noticed a Yc delay issue or any noise floor issues but maybe it's just not something I am looking for so I don't notice.

The new S2500 seems to have added all the key features people are looking for. I will say the one thing it has over the Denon 3910 is the firewire link vs. Denon's D-Link. I only say this because it does not tie you to a Denon receiver. The S2500 also seems to have all the features of the Elite 59AVi now as well so that's a comparison I'd like to see too. I just saw the new Secrets test with the 3910 and it scored very well. Secrets Test For the price though the new Yamaha S2500 should be pretty popular, I hope it's built similar to the S2300 which is a tank @ about 20LBS. I did notice the poor scores the new S1500 got though so I hope the S2500 did not go that direction.

Not on the same topic but I was dissapointed when Yamaha announced it's new receivers 1500/2500 because they did not add firewire or HDMI switching etc... Now seeing this new S2500 player has both of those I wonder sometimes what the heck manufactures are thinking! Even if they did not add the HDMI to the receiver they should have at least added the firewire so you could use it with their DVD player.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
If this player has a lot in commmon with the Pioneer Elite 59avi, that's very good news. That s1500 test result really is discouraging.

I share your puzzlement with this lack of compatibility between receivers and DVD players from Yamaha...

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Pioneer's DV-59AVi is in all likelihood the best player they've ever produced. It ain't cheap by any stretch of the imagination at about $1700 MSRP. But it does deliver video wise (no chroma bug woo hoo!) and audio wise with great performance for both.

Cheers,

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
FWIW, this same source at Yamaha, when questioned by me directly, says today, as I write this, that he "feels very confident that these units will ship at the end of October."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks