Yamaha S-1500?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dan Driscoll, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Anyone have one yet? Comments and impressions?

2. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

I'm going to (try) and talk to my local Yamaha dealer about it this weekend. On paper it looks like a very nice package.

3. Bob Bartlett

Bob Bartlett Stunt Coordinator

I hear september release. I've been waiting for the reviews on it before I buy anything else. Looks good for the price.

4. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    This was supposed to be out in April and I waited until June but got tired and went with the Marantz DV6400. On paper, the Yamaha looked like a better deal (which is why I waited that long) but rumours of problems and the continual push back of the release date made me spend a bit more money. I'm looking forward to reviews of this thing should it ever be released. Just to see if it might have been worth it.

5. Jer_S

Jer_S Auditioning

I actually called my local dealer yesterday and he noted that they will not get their stock until early to mid september.

I agree on paper this looks like a great deal.

6. Dan Driscoll

I wonder if the release has been delayed so they can add features? The S-1500 looked like it was being positioned to go head to head against the Denon 2200, but now that the new Denons have been announced the S-1500 would have been out of date right after it was released.

7. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

My dealer too is saying September. However, he told me it is out, some people are selling. He’s just not going to begin stocking it for at least a month.

8. MarkGall

MarkGall Auditioning

Hey, check it out s-1500's for 300 bucks on ebay, I'd pick one up but I just blew my wad on a dvd-s2300. I had enough with the delays of the 1500. I cant post a link but the ebay item number is 5721160632.

9. Dan Driscoll

The only problem is that they don't have any. The info section says it is on "backorder" and they don't state when it will be in stock or when they will be shipping.

10. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    My retailer is getting his in this coming week. I would expect the s1500's to start popping up very soon. Part of the problem may be how many (if any) your retailer ordered in the first place.

I'll be looking at this unit, the s2300 mark 2, the Denon 2900, and maybe the big splurge of the 3910.

I am having a dilenma: I know HD-DVD isn't that far off, and I'd spend the pretty coin on the 3910...but then what happens to it a couple of years from now? Heh...

I already own the Zenith 318. I may buy another of these other units for all my audio purposes.

I wonder: Would I really see that much of a PQ difference between the 318's DVI that I currently use on an HD CRT Tube and the 3910's DVI? Somehow I doubt it...

The 2900 is almost 50 percent less than the 3910, as is the s2300 mark 2. And the S1500 is about $400 new, so...yeah.

11. Jer_S

Jer_S Auditioning

My store got some in, but they sold out their lot within a week. They expect to get more in either next week or the following week.

12. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

My dealer called and said he got a couple but I've decided to wait it out for the 2500 or buy a Denon 2910.

If only this came out when it was first announced, I would have bought it no questions asked.

13. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    ^^ This is precisely what my dealer warned against months ago. His exact words were, "If Yamaha delays this thing past July or August, they can forget about it." He was right.

The s2500 intruiges me, but I don't see myself waiting that long. The Zenith 318 really seems like it's pretty hard to beat DRAMATICALLY for PQ, so I am probably just going to get an audio upgrade unit and keep the Zenith strictly for my movie watching.

Frankly, I can't wait on Yamaha's time schedule. The s2500 is tentatively slated for FEb. 2005. Forget it! Most people that are interested in a unit like that are going to have bought Denon 2910's, 3910's, Integra 10.5's, Pioneer 59avi, etc. etc. Getting the idea? [​IMG]

That being said, I'm probably going to go for either a Denon 2900 or the Yamaha s2300 mark 2.

The message I keep getting from Yamaha is that this particular market is a bonus afterthough to them. Their primary and best strength is still audio, and that means receivers and stereo equipment. (And music instruments and equipment.)

14. Lee Distad

Lee Distad Stunt Coordinator

We got 2 in, one was presold, and the other I've installed in a video vignette. Unfortunately, I have had no time for the past two weeks to monkey around with it, as is my wont. Normally, I'd have all kinds of opinions at this point, but I've been busy.

15. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

I bought one. My dealer gave me a good 6-month trade-in program that I couldnt pass up. He also said that the the s2500 will arrive in november.

Havent had much time using it as we are getting hit by the remains of Ivan. I did open it up, though ...

Its definately a Philips player. Half of the chips have Philips printed on them, as well as several of the circuit boards.

DCDi is the FLI2310
    Audio DAC is the Cirrus CS4382
    Video DAC is Analog Devices ADV7300A
    SACD chip is manuf by Philips
    It uses the LSi Logic ZiVA-5 chip for DVD-rom interactivity
    Check: http://player.interactual.com/news/LSIIAPRFinal.htm

The GUI is very nice. Build Quality is also good.

The Philips SACD chip allows X-overs of 60, 80, 100, and 120 at either a 12, 18, 24dB/oct drop.

16. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Awesome, Rob. I think I read you on AVS also. I'm Q over there. [​IMG]

I'll say the same thing to you here: Look forward to your thoughts as you break that puppy in.

17. Kelly Grannell

Kelly Grannell Second Unit

Yup, it's a Philips player in Yamaha disguise

18. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
    How about the forthcoming s2500? Also a Phillips in disguise? What does this mean, then?

19. Steve Winkler

Steve Winkler Stunt Coordinator

Hey Rob, I'm considering this player and was wondering if you could post it's specs regarding the DVD-Audio portion, i.e. does it have flexible crossovers too?? Thanks for any info.

Steve

20. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

s2500 will also be a Philips player as it is manufactured in the same plant as the s1500 (SBI).

The Philips was highly touted as an SACD player, so I guess that is a good thing.

Im not sure of the DVD-A crossover point. Ill have to work on that one.