1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha RXV800 vs RXV1000?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yoon Lee, Aug 4, 2001.

1. Yoon Lee

Yoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

Yamaha RXV800 vs RXV1000? Does RXV1000 deserve the extra money? Thanks.

2. Nicholas A. Gallegos

Nicholas A. Gallegos Stunt Coordinator

Well, the only significant difference between the RX-V800 and RX-V1000 is the way they decode 6.1 surround. The 800 has a matrix 6.1 decoder, while the 1000 can decode 6.1 discrete, although the rear center output is a preout and will require an outboard amp.
    If the 1000 is only a few bucks more, I'd go for it. But it the price is significant enough between the two, the 800 is more than adequate (the input/output capability is pretty much identical).
    I'm a very happy HTR-5280 (identical to the RX-V800) owner.
    ------------------

3. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I just finished setting up a 1000 for a friend and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it sounded. Very open and spacious with plenty of power. We did use an old 2 channel amp to power the rear center. Sounded so good I had to go out and upgrade my old 2095 Yam to a RXV1.
    I would rec the 1000 to anyone. Can be found for around 650 online.
    ------------------

4. Seiken Nakama

Seiken Nakama Auditioning

The reason I went for the rx-v1000 instead of the 800 is the recording source selection feature on the 1000. This makes it possible to enjoy a dvd movie, while making a backup of a cd on my pioneer cdr.. I use this feature quite often for backing up video tapes, while watching a hd programs, cd's etc...

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

The 800 has NO rear center channel pre-out or amplified output so you CANNOT connect a rear center or rear surround SPEAKER. The 800 does however Matrix a rear surround or rear center and that is simply outputed through the surround speakers, relying on imaging to derive a rear center (its listed in the Yamaha brochure as a PHANTOM rear center channel). Frankly, I don't know how this is different from hearing normal rear surround.
    The 1000 has a pre-out and you use an amp like DonnyD has done.
    The 3000 has an amplified rear center and amplified front effects channels.
    [Edited last by Chris PC on August 04, 2001 at 02:40 PM]

6. Youchan

Youchan Auditioning

Hello,
    I had the exact same dilema as you did back in March and I chose the RX-V1000 over the RX-V800. To me, the major differences between the units were the remote and Dolby Digital EX/DTS ES capability. I used a spare receiver to power the EX/ES channel. I have been very satisfied with my RX-V1000. I demoed the RX-V800 (HTR-5280) at a local Best Buy and was pleased with what I heard. IMO, if those 2 features mean very little to you, then you would be just as satisfied w/the RX-V800.
    Hope that helps,
    Youchan
    By the way, the RX-V1000 does not do DTS ES Discrete.
    [Edited last by Youchan on August 04, 2001 at 04:48 PM]

7. LesterLiu

LesterLiu Extra

You should also consider some of the newer Marantz receivers, they are cheaper, and spec out very close to the yamaha. I was also looking at the yamaha 800/1000 and went with the marantz instead, mostly because of price and because the marantz has dts-es built in.

8. Yoon Lee

Yoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

So, if RXV800 doesn't support DTS-ES nor DD-EX, what's the deal with Phantom back channel?

9. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Yeah, I forgot, the remote for the 1000 is better than the remote for the 800.
    If it doesn't have DD-EX or DTS ES, then it just makes a channel via Matrix. It derives it from the source.
    I too was looking at Yamaha receivers and have since walked away because of the lack of Dolby pro logic II. i am now struggling with accepting lame bass management. Marantz is a good option though. I am still seriously considering the SR 6200.