Yamaha RXV800 vs Harmon/Kardon AVR220

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael G Jones, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Michael G Jones

Michael G Jones Stunt Coordinator

A few months back I had compiled a list of home theatre receivers that were of interest. I started with about 5 or 6 and narrowed down to 2. The Yamaha RXV800 and the Harmon/Kardon AVR220.
    From what I have read, the RXV800 is replaced with the 1200.

(1) With model changes, what would be the best time to purchase the receiver?

(2)Should I purchase the RXV800 or go with the 1200?

I'm in Toronto Canada and have seen the RXV800 at a few hifi shops for approx $799.

Thx.
    MGJ

2. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

The AVR220 has been replaced with the AVR225. The updated unit has better quality DACs and you now have a choice of 'DSP' mode or analog pass-through mode when using analog inputs. On the previous model, the main speakers were forced to 'Large' when using an analog input so you can now select the DSP mode and set the speakers 'Small'.

Power was also bumped to 55wpc.

3. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Michael, welcome to the Forum.

There're plenty of differences among these AVRs and price ranges, too. Not easy to say one or the other. It depends on your wants for "good" price vs features.

As a Yamaha RXV-800 owner for two years, I can say Yamaha is a top, dependable, clean and low-distortion rcvr at 100Wx5. It sold at $799 U.S. list but I wudnt spend more than $500-$600 today for this model. Yamaha's DAC digital converter chipset seems quite good for music, too. But time moves on, and today I wud look for a model with Dolby ProLogic II because I watch a lot of cabletv programming. But I cud make a case for the 55-watt per channel 5.1 HK 220, especially if you will use it in an average living room or similar HT space.

HK owners are quite laudatory over their units, saying the power is plenty good. Here’s what one online reviewer says (prices are list U.S. D.:

4. Michael G Jones

Michael G Jones Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for your help guys. The Yamaha RXV800 has been replaced by the 1200. Around the time of my first post, I had seen the RXV800 and the sales person had stated that they had only 2 models left. I'll take a look at the newer model and gather some info.