Yamaha RXV592 and 2 dolby digital devices

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James_U, Feb 4, 2003.

1. James_U

James_U Auditioning

My current setup is an RXV592 with a Cerwin Vega speaker system (2 E-10's, ED6-C center, and 2 E-6's, and a Mirage 10" powered sub. Geez that stuff takes up a lot of space!!). I also have an Xbox, with optical out going into a sound blaster extigy set up as a standalone Digital decoder. This goes out to my 5.1 input on my RXV592. Everything sounds great (to me at least.)

I recently got a Hitachi 51" widescreen (51UWXSW??), therefore, I also got a Panasonic 5-disc prog. scan DVD player (mainly just so I could have progressive scan DVD playback), which has a built-in D.D. decoder.

Since my 5.1 discrete input on my receiver is already being used by my Xbox/extigy combo, how can I go from the 5.1 out of my new DVD player into my receiver? Will I have to physically switch the wires each time I go between playing games, and watching DVD's?

Hopefully you could get through reading all this [​IMG]
    Thanks

2. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

why not run either an optical or coax digital connection from your DVD to your soundcard though the way you're setup you wont be able to do DTS sound which is a huge drawback since the Audigy/Extigy only does D.D., looking at the specs on your reciever I see it has no digital Decoding built in I'd say it might be time to start looking at an upgrade to a newer reciever you can get into the newer Yamaha's for a resonable price that more than beat all specs of the 592 I know it sucks to have to sink more money but for the added benefits it would probably be quite worth it.

3. James_U

James_U Auditioning

Maybe I'll upgrade someday, but I just dropped 2,000 on a TV, so even 300 is a little hard to come by. I wanted to use the 5.1 out on the DVD player (instead of optical or coax), so I could use the DVD players decoder, instead of running it through the Extigy for decoding.

4. JeremyFr

Yeah I hear ya I think the easiest would be using the Extigy decoder due to the fact that thats pretty much the only way to do it without switching six cables everytime you want to listen to something different.

5. DavidLC

DavidLC Agent

Maybe I can get some help here?
    I am having trouble geting DTS from my RX-V620. It is hooked up to a Panasonic DVD (progressive scan) with optical cable. Bitstream is turned on. Dolby works fine but when I switch to DTS - no sound.

6. JeremyFr

do you have the reciever set to auto input if not try that or try forcing the reciever into dts, the other thing you might want to check is some DVD players have a seperate setting specifically to pass DTS Data that alot of times is disabled by factory default.

7. DavidLC

DavidLC Agent

Thanks for the reply -
    Yes I have the reciever set to auto and have the DVD player (Panasonic RP-56) enabled with the dts bitstream set to on. When I try to force the DTS setting - nothing is heard. On DVD's encoded with Dolby pro logic and DTS the receiver automatically goes to Dolby mode.

8. JeremyFr

hmmm very odd there must be something missing then a hidden setting or something thats not allowing that bitstream to work, have you tried using the coax instead of optical or vice versa of however its connected now, also if you have multiple digital inputs have you tried using another input on the reciever?

9. James_U

James_U Auditioning

I was thinking. Couldn't I get some sort of 2 into 1 adapter for each channel?