What's new

Yamaha RXV2500 gets pretty hot... is it normal? (1 Viewer)

I just got a Yamaha RXV2500 and right now it is running a pair of Onix Rocket 750s at 6 OHMs. The top gets hot pretty quickly. Not burn yourself hot, but it's hot. My old Yamaha (rxv793 I think) never seemed to get that hot (that I noticed), though it wasn't having to work as hard. After 15 or 20 minutes it seems to be about as hot as it gets, after another couple hours running it remains about the same temp. Is there any problem with that? I'm not sure if there is any kind of cooling mechanism, so it may be normal. Once I add a center and rears I don't want it to overheat or anything. Thanks for the info!

Brian

SethH

Senior HTF Member
It's probably ok, but in general heat is bad. How much space do you have around it for ventilation? My Denon's manual says it's supposed to have 10 inches on each side and top. Well, in my entertainment center that just doesn't work, so it's got a couple inches on either side and about 5 inches on the top. It definitely gets warm, but I try not to run it too hard.

It's actually sitting on top of a dresser for the moment, with nothing on top of it so space around it isn't an issue.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The RX-V793 was a rather remarkable Yamaha reciever. Lots of metal in the transformer and empty space in the case so it stays cool even under heavy loads. (I own 2 of these).

It's strange to think about - but you WANT lots of heat coming off the vents. This means heat is pumping OUT of the reciever and not staying in to cook the electronics.

Just dont put it in the top shelf of a rack with 2" of clearance. You want all that heat to have a place to move to.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Bob hit the nail on the head........ Heat is a good thing to feel as the receiver is doing its job. That receiver has a fan in it AFAIK. I have felt some HK receivers that go so hot you could not touch it....and they were pushing 8ohm speakers......I was nervous about that but according to the dealer and HK that was perfectly normal....and it still works like a charm 3 year later.

If you are adding a center and surrounds though and they too are 6 ohm keep your eye on things. That is a lot for a receiver to push.....although the 2500 is a powerful unit. You may want to contact Yamaha or your dealer and make sure this is ok. That unit also has Pre-outs so if you get concerned you could always add a couple of Outlaw Mono's to power the mains and let the Yammie take care of the rest......

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have a Yamaha RX-V995 and even driving dual 15" woofers it doesn't run hot. Are you running extreamly small speaker wire? I am wondering if small diameter wire would cause alot of resistance. Causing an amplifier to run hotter? This is only something I have wondered about and I am most likely off base. My roomates Onkyo reciever runs on the hot side and he has small diameter wire and small speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks