Yamaha RXV1600 vs 2600

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ryan Peddle, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

I'm doing some research way ahead of time for the purchase of a new receiver. Yamaha being one of the first manufacturer to look based on owning a great RX-V800 for the last 5 years until it died last fall. And now I am using a cheap replacement in the HTR5730 which I got off of ebay for half price, and it is serving its purpose well.

I was originally looking to make a jump to separates, but I'm really starting to think that receivers are being made better and better lately, hence my research into new receivers.

I have a couple of main specs that are must have for me.
    One is HDMI i/o. Second is preouts. And just overall sound quality to be very good for Home Theater only.

I use an upconverting player thru HDMI, and will move to HDDVD/BluRay when ready, and soon get into HDTV. So when looking at the Yammy models I don't really see a huge difference in the 1600 and the 2600 except in one area:

For the 1600

I can't see the real difference in these for the two most important things to me...SDDVD, HDTV and future HDDVD/Bluray devices.

I checked the prices for me up in Canada and there is a $400(CAD) or $350(US) price difference.

Help me out here. What else am I...me, with my requirements getting if I were two jump to the 2600???

Thanks in advance people.

2. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

I also forgot to add that I run all Paradigm Monitor speakers.

3. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

If all you are going to be doing is passing signals through the reciever, then you are correct to assume that the 1600 will be better suited to your purposes.

The differences:
    1. 10 watts of power
    2. 3 surround programs
    3. Upconversion to 720p/1080i (2600)

Big deal! Save the $400 and put it toward your blu-ray.