yamaha rxv1200,denon2802,sony strda3es or pioneer elite vsx36tx

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve R, May 30, 2002.

1. Steve R

Steve R Extra

I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM. I NEED TO REPLACE MY OLD YAMAHA RX-V1050 (1993 VINTAGE).THE TUNER SECTION JUST QUIT.I READ MANY POSTS ON THIS FORUM WHICH HAVE BEEN QUITE HELPFUL BUT ALSO CONFUSING I LIKE TO LISTEN TO MUSIC ABOUT 50% OF THE TIME. I HAVE CANTON KARAT 930 SPEAKERS FOR THAT PURPOSE.I READ GOOD AND BAD THINGS ABOUT EACH OF THE RECEIVERS IN QUESTION. I REALLY COULD USE SOME ADVICE.

THANKS,

Steve R

2. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    Just one small tip but I think you'll find you'll get a better response from people if you turn off the caps lock. [​IMG]
    Anyway, to address your question... All those receivers are good, it's just a matter of taste. I happened to compare the 1200 with the 2802 and I preferred the sound of the 1200. It sounded warmer and more musical.
    I understand your old yammie died on you, but it is fairly accepted that Yamaha makes solid units. Chances of another yammie dieing on you are low. If you like the Yamaha sound stick with the yammie, although I suspect the new Yammies don't sound a lot like the older ones.
    Be sure to compare the sound of each of those units and see which you you prefer. Have fun.
    - Mike

3. Steve R

Steve R Extra

Mike,

Thanks for the response on both accounts. What do you think about the yamaha 2200 vs the denon 3802.

steve

4. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    Steve,

I never compared the 3802 with the yammies directly, but I've read posts where some people like the sound of the 1200 over the 3802. As for the 2200, the 1200 and 2200 do sound a lot a like, you might notice tighter bass on the 2200. I actually own a 2200 and am very happy with it. It currently drives a pair of Paradigm Studio 40s.

- Mike

5. Steve R

Steve R Extra

Mike,

I've read posts that indicate the power of the 1200 to be @ 50 watts. Not @ 80 watts as yamaha specs. Should I be concerned about that? Also,I went to a high end audio shop on long island, the salesman said they no longer carried yamaha or denon since they became mass market products. He tried to push me to marantz,pioneer elite or the sony es series. Is he just full of himself?

Steve

6. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I owned the 1200 for about 2 weeks before I returned it, and I was not that impressed with the unit. I thought that while the unit was very clean, as in almost no hiss coming from the unit itself, the 1200 was severely underpowered and lacked slam. I actually preferred the power and sound of my brother's Denon 1802 to the 1200, but that is just my opinion. IMO, yamaha took a step down from the v800 and v1000 series to the 1200 and 2200 series.