Yamaha rxv1 vs Denon 3802?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin L., Sep 22, 2002.

1. Kevin L.

Kevin L. Auditioning

was looking for an opinion from everyone on the merits of these two receivers. I am in the process of putting together a home theater. It will be run through an HTPC. I had pretty much decided to buy a Denon 3802. I went to a local Tweeter Store yesterday. They had the Yamaha RXV1 on a special. It was 1399. I know I can pick up the Denon in the 800 to 1000 range. I know there will be some tradeoffs with these units. The Yamaha does not have the DLP II processing. Are the amps better in the Yamaha though? What probably kept me from purchasing yesterday was that the salesperson they gave me was not very competent. I don't think there was one question I had that he could answer. I asked about adding another amp to the Denon to boost the power and spatiality of the the system. I asked how you connect the amp to the receiver. He was trying to decide how to answer. I told him if he was not sure then it was okay. I rather have him say he did not know then try to manufacture the platitudes he was attempting. Kind of frustrating.

I have PSB image 5T mains and 9C center with a Def Tech PF 1500 SW and cambridge soundworks the surrounds. I'll probably replace the CSW surrounds with PSB products when the theater is built. Should I go for the Yamaha RXV1 or buy the cheaper Denon with the latest processing and buy an amp to add to it for better sound. Would like some comments on the merits of these two options. Thanks.

Kevin L

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Hi Fi Buys (owned by tweeter) in atlanta has the RXV1 for $1000. I don't know if it's a regional price difference, but $400 is alot. I'm currently considering the Denon 3801. It's the predecesor to the 3802, exactly the same minus DPLII. This doesn't bother me since it has NEO:6, which i prefer. My Hi Fi Buys has a display model 3801 for $600 w/ full waranty (but no remote, but i use a Palm M100 w/ omniremote, so i could get the Pronto CCF file and just export the IR Hex). I also know a guy trying to sell one for $500 used, so i'm trying to make up my mind.

Don't know if that helps any, just me being bored and typing.

3. RobertSchaez

RobertSchaez Stunt Coordinator

This may sound stupid, but make a list of features that the Yamaha has but Denon doesn't, and visa versa. Make sure you consider things like power supply, ergonomics, etc as well, not just raw features, like DPL II. Rank those in level of importance. Is a feature one has that the other doesn't, something you will really USE? Can you listen to them in the same room with the same speakers?
    R

4. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

$600 for a used 3801 without a remote is WAY too much. You can get a 3802 for $900 (only $300 more) that still has the warranty, the remote, all the latest modes, and upgrades to the amplification stage from the 3801.

The 3801 was great (I owned it first), but it isn't as nice sounding to me as the 3802 is. There definitely is more than just the DPLII differences.

As to the original poster, I am a Denon guy, and I will recommend Denon over Yamaha every day. Yamaha makes great products, too, but their forte is in the million sound fields that they have. If you like playing with stadium or concert hall modes, the Yamaha is for you. If you like a simple receiver that has the performance to back it up, the Denon is for you.

I can say without a doubt that to me, DPLII is definitely worth it. I listen to everything that is non DD or DTS in DPLII Music mode, which is fully customizable on the 3802. Even DTS: Neo 6 doesn't have stereo surrounds, as far as I can tell.

Bryan

5. Jeff Yale

Jeff Yale Auditioning

The RXV 1 is a vastly superior unit compared to the 3801 or 3802. The DAC'S in the Yamaha are Burr Brown and a simple A/B comparison between the two units in stereo mode will give you an indication of the difference. The build quality of the Yamaha is also superior, especially the heatsinks. Listen to both on the same set of speakers and make your decision. On movies the difference may not be as dramatic, on music, however, there is no comparison!

6. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

The 3801 was great (I owned it first), but it isn't as nice sounding to me as the 3802 is. There definitely is more than just the DPLII differences.

As to the original poster, I am a Denon guy, and I will recommend Denon over Yamaha every day. Yamaha makes great products, too, but their forte is in the million sound fields that they have. If you like playing with stadium or concert hall modes, the Yamaha is for you. If you like a simple receiver that has the performance to back it up, the Denon is for you.

I can say without a doubt that to me, DPLII is definitely worth it. I listen to everything that is non DD or DTS in DPLII Music mode, which is fully customizable on the 3802. Even DTS: Neo 6 doesn't have stereo surrounds, as far as I can tell.

Bryan
    ================================================== =========
    Wow ,no offense but my opinions are almost exactly opposite ....I sell both ,have owned both, and am predominately interested in performance with music......
    Denon ,very good.....Yamaha ,better.............

7. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Go with a 3802 for $699 and add another 5 channel amp for the remaining $700. Any used amp in the 125wx5 range from B&K, Rotel, Parasound, Anthem etc would fit the bill. I am sure the combo will beat the RXV1 hands down in sound. Plus the next time you upgrade you will only be upgrading the $699 3802 and keeping the $700 amp.

8. Daryl Furkalo

Daryl Furkalo Second Unit

I don't have experience with either, but thought I would throw this in. The RXV1 is last years Yamaha flagship receiver. The 3802 is Denon's third class receiver behind the 4802 and flagship 5803. For the price of the RXV1, I would take it over the 3802 because the electronics and processing will be superior than the 3802. I am sure the amp stages are much beefier too. I have the Elite 36TX which would be comparable to the 380x series, and it is nowhere near the quality of the flagship Yamaha. Also, the Yamaha has pre-outs and main-ins, so you could use it as a straight power amp later in its lifetime.

9. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The 3801 price i mentioned was for a display model that would carry full factory warranty from the day i purchased it. "JUST" $300? I'm sorry, but $300 is alot to me.

NEO:6 does have stereo surrounds and even has surround back. NEO:6 cinema sounds much fuller then DPLII Movie to me.

As for comparrison of the 3802 and RXV1, i can't really suply much more info than what has already been given.

10. Willy burz

Willy burz Stunt Coordinator

Denon, just get the Denon. Yamaha is good, but Denon is better. I just don't feel like writing a book about why right now.
    Go Denon and you'll never go back! [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

Go with a 3802 for $699 and add another 5 channel amp for the remaining $700. Any used amp in the 125wx5 range from B&K, Rotel, Parasound, Anthem etc would fit the bill. I am sure the combo will beat the RXV1 hands down in sound. Plus the next time you upgrade you will only be upgrading the $699 3802 and keeping the $700 amp.
    ================================================== ==========
    can anyone comment on the quality of the analog pre-out stage????.......DAC's were also mentioned ,I believe.....
    non-current limiting amps are an improvement ,especially in regaurds to dynamic range but analog pre-out drivers and dacs do count as well............

12. Patrick TX

Patrick TX Stunt Coordinator

I would go for the Yamaha RX-V1. As am matter of fact, I just did. I have a relative at Tweeter, and demo'd both yeterday. The Denon has more of the latest features, but is not even in the same class as the RX-V1. In all fairness, they are like comparing Apples to Oranges. The Yamaha should be compared to a higher level Denon. On a side note, I bought a Sony 333ES for $300 there for my Mom! I was all set for a 3802, but couldn't pass it up at that $. She doesn't need to be on the "cutting edge", and ALL her stuff is Sony. On another side note, Tweeter has more 3802's in the SERVICE SHOP than in stock, company wide. The fact they are not loaded with for sale units is no surprise, as it is loaded with features (HOT UNIT). The amount of units in the shop was troubling. I picked my RXV1 up for $1031 DELIVERED. UNREAL.

13. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Whoa there!

How can I get my hands on a Yammy RXV1 for $1k? I got to get one.

14. jason celaya

jason celaya Stunt Coordinator

denon plus amp is the way to go. BtW does the yammie have adjustable crossovers? I thought that they set them all to 90hz

15. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

That comparison should be really simple. The RXV-1 is a better receiver than the 3802 period as the V1 was Yamaha's flagship receiver and has an awesome amp stage in it. I like Denon myself but let's not get carried away here. However, the 3802 does offer all the latest processing and I honestly don't know if the Burr Brown DACs really make all that difference. The Denon 3802 employs dual Sharc also so it's not all that bad.
    The V1 will sound better than the Denon if you compare the two receivers by themselves but as someone above said and that is the way to go by using the 3802 as a pre/pro and hooking it up to a 5/7 channel amp. That way you will get the best of both worlds.
    I recently sold my 4802 and went with seperates with the amp just producing 80W X 5 but believe me when I say this, the seperates sound better than the 4802 for both HT and music. So the 3802 with an external amp would be the way to go and you can add the amp later too.

16. Nitt0

Nitt0 Auditioning

Last December I bought a Dennon 3802. It was a good reciever. 4 months later I was in my local Tweeter store and saw the RX-V1. I REALLY liked the V1. I was able to trade in my Dennon and get full price for it, and pay the difference for the V1. At that time, the price was $1,400 for the V1 and I got a free DVD-C996 5 dick DVD player. I can tell you from experience, these recievers are night and day from each other. The ONLY thing that I miss from the Dennon is the DPLII. The V1 only has DPLI. The video switching is alot better, the amp is alot better, and the tuner is alot better. I realize that it is last year's model, but it suits my needs right now. I was really never satisfied with the Dennon. I would have probally loved the 4802 or the 5803, but both of those are alot more money. See if you can take both of them home and demo them both. Everyone has their opinions, and you might like the Dennon better.

17. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

Even according to Denon, the 38 series is below the 48
    and 58 series. The analogy the Denon rep used was
    "A 325 BMW to a 7-series." This also partially explains
    Denon's huge price gap between the 38 and 48
    series. The Yamaha is the better choice
    unless by some miracle you can get a Denon 4802 for a
    similar price, THEN it becomes a tough choice.

18. Patrick TX

Patrick TX Stunt Coordinator

Check your PM Scott.