What's new

Yamaha rxv-800 VS. Sherwood AVP 9080 (1 Viewer)

Joe Wilmore

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Yamaha rxv-800 receiver right now that I am using as a pre-amp. I am using a HK 2.1 to drive my speakers. Would I notice any upgrade switching to the Sherwood as a pre-amp? What would the pros and cons be of making this switch? I can sell my receiver for about the same price as I can purchase the Sherwood for.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Welcome to the forum!

What's your overall goal here? Obviously, you are on a separates path w/ the big HK 5x100watt amp.

I've just added a similar amp with my RXV800 and I'm letting the sound shake out to my ears. So far so good and I'm going to keep the Yamaha , at least this year, as my pre/pro.

I dont see any big advantage to going to the Sherwood at this time -- no DPLII, fewer DSP modes, no 6.1 upgrade, no DTS-ES phantom rear. It DOES offer direct analog if it's important to you if you prefer to use your CD player DACs chip. (I've never been certain that Yamaha's Effects Off mode really bypasses the 800's DAC, but I use it anyway with my Denon CD player's analog outputs).

So the Sherwood goes for roughly $700 and it's last year's model, so to speak. Are you just getting a better deal on it?

Congratulations on holding back your upgraditis fever wityh everyone here talking about the two or three latest pre/processors: Outlaw 950 ($900), Anthem AV20 and Rotel 1066.

But the jump from Sherwood at $700 to Outlaw at $900 seems to be a quantum one, in my estimation. So what do you think?

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
from what I understand, go with the Preamp is sound quality is your biggest goal, go with the Yammie if features are what you care about. I went from a Yammie receiver to a parasound Pre/pro with LESS features, and I can tell you I couldn't care less about what I am missing (all the stupid DSPs are fun to show the neighbors, but in reality you never really listen to them, at least I sure didn't). The parasound sounds much better.

Joe Wilmore

Stunt Coordinator
I can pick up the Sherwood for $375.00. I was hoping it would be a big improvement in two channel sound.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
Joe, you are in a no risk situation, that is a great price, if you don't like it-sell it for hte same price or more-GO FOR IT!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks