Yamaha RXV-630

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StashPaws, Nov 12, 2002.

1. StashPaws

StashPaws Auditioning

What is the best way to play MP3 files from my PC through a Yamaha RXV-630 receiver ?
    I have Bose surround sound speakers with a subwoofer.
    Thanks[​IMG]

2. Dereck Graefer

Well, it depends a lot on the sound card you have in your computer and what type of speaker setup you have(4.1, 5.1, 6.1 etc). To get simple 2 channel stereo you can use a miniplug-to-rca cable. Plug the mini plug into the analog out of your sound card on the rear of your PC (note: many newer cards have more than one analog out port. You will want to use the front channel output. Refer to your manual to figure out which port is which.) and plug the respective left and right RCA connectors to the audio-in on your receiver. Configure your computer to output audio for two speakers and you should be set. make sure your sound card is not set to "digital output only". Now, depending on your sound card, you may be able to use a digital, or possibly an optical connection. I have my system set up using a digital connection. If your sound card has an SPDIF out, then you can connect digitally. Likewise, if you have an optical output, you can go that route. I cannot comment on going the optical route, since I have never done it.

My sound card uses a mini plug for it's SPDIF/Digital out port. To connect to it, I use the miniplug-to-rca cable mentioned above. If you also have a mini plug SPDIF output, you can do the same as I did. Connect the mini plug on the cable to the SPDIF on the soundcard, and then connect the left channel RCA connector to a digital input on your receiver. Make sure you use the Left RCA connector. It will not work using the Right connector. If you have an RCA type output on your sound card for SPDIF, you can use a digital coaxial cable and use that to connect to your receiver. Once you have made the digital connection, set your sound card to "digital output only" if it isn't. Make sure your receiver is set to the digital input that you connected your PC to (CD, DVD, etc). The receiver should recognize that it is connected to a digital source if connected properly.

I like the digital method opposed to analog. (Can't comment on optical though.) Using digital allows you to have surround sound much easier. To get surround through analog, you have to connect more cables. I use my PC for everything, DVD's, CD's, games and have a Yamaha rx-v730 which is pretty similar to your reciever. I also use a Creative Sound blaster audigy card. It's a pretty good card. Not the best, but not the worst.

note: If you use a digital connection and it's not working, try setting your sound card's digital output sampling rate to 48Khz, and not 96Khz. If it works fine, then ignore this note.

3. StashPaws

StashPaws Auditioning

Hi !
    I have a 6.1 speaker setup....When I connect with the mini-plug to play my computer MP3's , I get a hum through the speakers..
    I don't get a hum with the DVD , CD , or Video.
    Anything I'm doing incorrectly???My sound card is a Voyetra Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    Thanks,
    Paws

4. Dereck Graefer

Can you hear the MP3's at all? or can you just hear the humming noise? When you say that you can play DVD's, CD's and video fine do you mean through your computer, or through separates? Also, does the hum accompany the MP3's?

All I can say right now is make sure everything is connected right. Make sure it's a SPDIF out to digital in connection, or analog out to analog in connection. Also, sometimes those mini plug connections may "feel" like there connected right, but are only half-way in. Also, try muting all your inputs and outputs on your sound card except for the Main Volume and Wave/MP3 port. Without more info, that's all I can say.

5. StashPaws

StashPaws Auditioning

Hi Dereck !
    Thanks for your help.
    I hear the MP3's fine, but if I pause the player and go closer to my frt center channel(within 18 in) I hear the slight hum.I don't hear the hum over the songs at all. Am I just being too picky?
    As I said , I hear nothing at all with the Cd when I pause it.
    I have a ProScan 61" HDTV.
    Here's how I have the system connected:
    1. DVD out to ProScan composite inputs
    2. DVD RCA audio outputs to Yamaha DVD RCA inputs
    3. ProScan RCA audio outputs to Yamaha RCA D-TV/CBL inputs
    4. Sony Hi FI Stereo RCA audio out to Yamaha VCR 1 inputs and Yamaha VCR out to Sony Hi Fi RCA inputs
    When I play a VHS tape back in D-TV mode, I get less low level hum than if I playback with the Yamaha in the VCR 1 mode so I removed the Sony VCR out cables and play back tapes through the D-TV /CBL mode
    5. Sony CD player RCA output to Yamaha CD RCA inputs(no hum ever)
    6.Santa Cruz sound card is set to 2 channel analog out RCA pin connector to RCA connectors that go to the Yamaha
    MD/CD-R RCA inputs
    7. I have cable reception with no box.
    8, I have an HDTV decoder, but I haven't connected it yet.
    Have I falsely assumed that becuse I get no hum at all in CD mode that all the other modes should be the same?
    Thanks for your input and time.
    This forum provides me with a continuing learning curve.[​IMG]
    Paws

6. Dereck Graefer

Well, I have heard of sound cards pushing a noisy analog signal. Things like hard drives can cause interference. The reason you don't hear a hum from your separate CD player, is probably because it is a cleaner source. I would try and use the digital out on your Santa Cruz and see how that works. Check my first post in this thread to connect through your SPDIF. If your sound card is a victim of interference, then using a digital signal may be less prone, or not prone at all.

Also I've found to have the same type of problem if my Cd Audio, Microphone, Line-in, etc on my sound card are not muted, so try muting everything but main volume, and mp3/wave out in your volume controls. If using a digital signal doesn't work, then perhaps you can try changing things with your sound card. Sometimes the most trivial solution can fix a problem(Especially with computers). Try upgrading drivers, using different software, moving card to a different PCI slot, changing software settings, etc. If you have an extra sound card laying around, or if you can borrow one, try using it instead.

7. StashPaws

StashPaws Auditioning

Hi Dereck !
    Success....!!!
    I tried the digital ouput left channel and it works well...SWEET!!
    Thanks for your helpful advice...The system sounds terrific, now .
    Much obliged
    Paws[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Dereck Graefer

No problem, glad to help.