What's new

Yamaha RXV-1300 front speakers dead (1 Viewer)

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Hi all, I know i havent posted here in a while things have been busy and ive nto had the money to buy new hardware.... so why torture myself right?

However as my topic suggests im in a spot of bother, my amp is not outputting sound through the front mains. Ive checked the speakers themselves and they are fine.

Honestly i dont know how long this has been going on, i noticed my rears ahve had more presence but i attributed that to a new apartment, it may infact be that my center has just been fooling me into thinking its 3 speakers.

so last night i popped in a cd (as opposed to a multi channel SACD or DVD'a) and i got no sound. unless i turned up the receiver tot he point where it powered off to protect itself and then the sound was abrely audible.

any suggestions or do i just ahve to bite the bullet and take it in for repairs?

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Well, there's always the obvious (but not meant to be diss'n ya)

-check speaker wiring at the speakers

-check speaker wiring at the amp - are the speakers really connected in the right place?

-do you have A / B switches for two sets of seakers? have you tried all four combinations there?

-have you tried connecting a different set of speakers?

-have you tried taking the speaker wires out of the amp and connecting them to something else?

Since you've got surrounds, you can swap parts and wiring around to see what works and what doesn't. I will NOT admit to occassionally getting confused while plugging things into an amp while standing on my head in the dark in a confined space!

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I did swap the wires int he back of the amp, i switched the front and rear left and i got sound from the rear output only.

So this tells me fairly positively that

1) the speaker wiring is good
2) the binding posts may be bad for both the front left and right (this seems highly unlikely to me)
3) my speakers are all working ok

I never checked the a/b switch I have never ever flipped that switch in my life, as I have only ever had the speakers set up in one fashion.

this leaves me hoping that this is not the cause of the problem if it is wont my ears be red in 7-10 days if the repair shop gives it back to me and says you had the a/b setting wrong

however i do not beleive this to be the case either as i have been able ot get *some* extremely limited sound from the front speakers. when i put in a cd and turn my amp from -100 all the way up to -2 dB (scale of -100 -- 0 dB) i would get faint sound for a few seconds before the amp would power off to protect itself.

ok OMG i may have found the problem someone please confirm this with me

here is the back panel of my receiver and i think i had the speakers plugged intot he B not the A probably did that last time i hooked it up and never noticed it..... omg im such a moron tell me if this would cause my problem.

http://www.yamaha.ca/av/Receivers/Ba...Back_Panel.asp

John-Miles

Screenwriter
yeah well i already brought it into the shop i had a bit of time at lunch and foolishly thought better now then later.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks