Yamaha rx1000 setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Br, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

I just purchesed a this receiver along with some other equiptment to round out a theater system. When its all said and done here is my setup
    Yamaha rx-1000 receiver
    JBL tower mains(solid, I bought them in 93')
    JBL S-Center
    JBL N26 Rears
    JBL PB12 Sub
    Toshiba 2700 DVD
    Hitachi 53" non-hdtv
    Not exactly the high end systems that are in here but a nice start.
    The problem I am having with the Yamaha is I bought a Digital Coaxial cable for the audio on the dvd and on the rear panel there is no dedicated coaxial inlet for the dvd player(there are three and are labeled Sat/CD/LD), but there is optical links for all componets. I think there is a way to change this using the feature I/O Setup, is anyone familar with the process needed to set this up for a coaxial cable? Should I just go get a optical cable and use the inlet that has been designated for dvd.
    When I get this setup what is the best soundfield to use for the watching movies, I do have a large room. What is the best mode to use for listening for CD's.
    I appreciate any imput on the potential setup issues I may have to deal with on this system. Thanks!
    Greg [​IMG]

2. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

I don't know the 1000 but for the 1200, enter setup mode, go to one of the later numbers like 12 or 13, arrow to the digital inputs and change which ever one to whatever. I just did that earlier this evening but for optical and I did notice there was the digital thing there as well.

Good Luck!

3. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

Dwight is correct. The 1000, which I also have, has a similar set up menu. This is one time that reading the manual helps. It is simple to switch the inputs from the labeled input to the one you want to use. I also use a coaxial digital cable to go from my DVD to the receiver and have assigned one of the inputs to DVD.

In terms of which soundfield to use watching movies, you should play around with them all for different types of movies, and you may even want to turn all the processing off.

For CDs I never use any of the soundfields. In my opinion if a CD was made for stereo use, that's the way I listen to it. So, I set the CD input to "effect off."

SMK

4. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Steve,

Is there really a difference between the two. As far as switching the labels is it just a toggle that can be switched using the remote.

Another 1000 question, I am going to set all my speakers to small, on the setup for the mains/sub there is a option for bass control the gives you an option of Mains/Sub/Both, I am assuming that I want to use Sub and not both that way all low frequencies go to the sub and not mixed to the main.

5. VicQ

VicQ Stunt Coordinator

That's correct. set all your speakers to small and bass to go only to the sub.
    -Vic [​IMG]