Yamaha RX-Z1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Simm, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Stunt Coordinator

Anyone had a chance to demo this yet? I saw one today at my local shop but it wasn't hooked up yet- they were redoing the demo room it is going in. It looked impressive and was pretty darn big. I'm ready to upgrade from DSP-A1 and am waiting to see how the new units perform before looking at other options.

2. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

My 3090's left channel isn't working anymore. I got home last weekend and knew something was wrong. I got home this weekend and did some looking around. I'm sure it is something in the 3090. :-(

I'm going to have to start looking for my HT setup now too. I was just about to get a pre-amp for my 2-channel setup. Argh. Now I need to decide on which is more important. :)

Knowing how people normally factor in the WAF, well, I'm going to leave it to my wife to decide which is more important. She's the one who'll benefit from it more than me. I travel too much to care too much about my home set up. :-

I've had my 3090 for close to 6 years I think. It has survived a few moves. I'm not rough with my hardware, but I know it has not been treated as well as it could have been. I am very happy with how it has survived this long.

3. David-T

David-T Extra

I traded my RX-V1 in for the RX-Z1. I like the power output versus the RX-V1 (I barely have to turn it up to hear sound). The RX-V1 sounded better, but I guess that's from breaking it in for a while. I have no doubts that the RX-Z1 will also sound better as it gets used more often. I also notice that I have to keep activating the rear center channel every time I watch another movie, were as the RX-V1 I did not have to do this. I haven't really noticed a difference from the old Dolby Pro Logic versus the Dolby Pro Logic II or NEO; I know that the latter two are suppose to have better separation of the surround channel. I need to take some of the DVD movies that the Dolby site recommends to see if do hear a difference in the Dolby Pro Logic II. As far as the remote control, it is difficult to see if you are in a dimly lighted room, so I always use the back-lighting, which uses the batteries up faster, but it is a very powerful remote once you have it program. I am still using the remote control I received from Yamaha, when I purchased the RX-V1, which is basically the same remote that comes with the RX-Z1, so I have a back up if the other one goes bad. Another thing is that you may want to purchase a stylus that is used for Palm Pilot, it makes it more easy to select the icons. All in all I am satisfied with this receiver and do not regret the upgrade. I also hope to hear about other peoples opinion on the RX-Z1 and if they have any special tweaks they use in setting it up. [​IMG]

4. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Stunt Coordinator

How long have you had the RX-Z1? I still haven't had a chance to play with one yet but maybe this weekend. If it turns out to be sonically as good as the DSP-A1 plus the additional features then this is probably what I'll end up getting. I have been debating the separates vs receiver for awhile and believe that the receivers off better value for the money.

5. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

How much are you going to spend on the Z1? I thought they were around $2700-3000. If that's the case, you don't have to spend much more for a pre/pro and amp. Actually, going the Outlaw route (if you are the patient type) would be ~$2700 I believe.

This would be a better value, IMO. You'd get 7 channels of amplification in a separate box from the pre/pro giving you the ability to change out your pre/pro without having to buy a new amp.

The only things I'll miss when I get rid of my A3090 are the DSP modes. I do like a few of them and use them all the time. I'll also miss the two front effect channels.

The price gap has shrunk, and I'm switching to separates when I upgrade.

6. David-T

David-T Extra

Steve, I have had the RX-Z1 for over two weeks now. The store in Houston, Texas that I traded in my RX-V1, gave me the full price for that unit plus took $100.00 of the list price for the RX-Z1. When I called about what kind of discount that they would give me they quoted the RX-Z1 for $2500.00, I think the asking price of this unit is $2799.00 if I’m not mistaken, but I could not get this price sense I had a trade in. The receiver is sounding better the more I use it. I watched Harry Potter last night for the first time on this receiver and the rear center channel was very active in a few scenes. Also the sound of glass breaking was very realistic not to mention the sword falling from the chess player when Harry is retrieving the stone. The game they where playing with the broom stick was very impressive, because it used all the speakers and it also sound like they where swooping down and up right in front of me. I do like the DSP processing Yamaha does, because my old Pioneer never could perform this function as well and it never did sound natural on the movies as the Yamaha. I see myself going through my old laser disc just seeing how well they sound and I am always impressed. I also see myself using these setting quit often were as the Pioneer I never used them after the first month I had it. I use the 70mm Spectacle (Theater 1) a lot on movies, because it makes my room feel or sound like it is very large and also envelops you in sound. I am also using the front effects speakers and these make the sound in front seem taller or more expansive. I did not set my rear surround speakers up as Yamaha suggested, but have them mounded on the side of the room about 6-1/2 feet high, since I like a diffused sound, but it also sounds like the sound is coming from my old speaker in the rear that by the way are not hook up and I always notice my guests looking towards the back of the room. Hope to hear from others that have this unit and what they think.[​IMG]