and thru June. I received this information from Yamaha and
post it just for any who, like myself, may be interested in
the latest from Yamaha.

J. Redcay

Agent
Mike:

List is $2800. My guess is that since it is just being
introduced no place is going to give a spectacular discount
on them. But that is just a guess. No guessing on Yamaha quality for me anyway, I have a DSP A1 (which I am keeping)
and feel it is a true quality unit with zero problems and
great performance.

Nathaniel_J

Auditioning
Thanks for the info on the ship date for the Z-1. I have been waiting for it to arrive. The first ship date given was May 15, but that was moved back. I am upgrading from a RX-995 and am anxious to get it home and set it up. I have already purchased my rear center speaker and am looking forward to using Pro Logic II and Neo 6 for music listening as well as being able to do component video switching to my HDTV monitor from the HD Tuner/Sat receiver and DVD player. Unlike many others, I happen to like the DSP modes in Yamaha Receivers. This unit is pretty loaded and the Touchscreen remote is an added bonus.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Yamaha's Pronto clone looks very nice but they made one major error (IMO). They replaced the channel up and down "hard" buttons with a power and standby button. That forces you to use "soft" buttons or program the lower two hard buttons as channel up and down.

That's a major mistake in use ability.

J. Redcay

Agent
Nathaniel:

I am also a fan of certain DSP modes, and find the front
effect speakers very effective in doing their job. As for
the mentioning of the remote "problem" by Camp I would not
find that a major reason for not upgrading. It would, of course, be nice for a manufacturer to get the entire package
right from the get go.........but performance and reliability are the most important things and Yamaha does do a great job with that.

RichardMA

Second Unit
"The new RX-Z1 receiver will be shipping starting next week
and thru June. I received this information from Yamaha and
post it just for any who, like myself, may be interested in
the latest from Yamaha. "
Does this mean they will be shipping an even newer
one once July rolls around? :)

Vince _TSE

Auditioning
SuperAudioVideo has the new flagship Yamaha RX-Z1 receiver for $1999.00. However, they are not an authorized dealer.

RichardMA

Second Unit
I also note the Yamaha will drive very low impedence speakers whereas most of the big multichannel units from
other companies won't.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Huh? How low do you mean? In my experience HK and Denon will drive tough speakers as well as Yamaha.

Nathaniel_J

Auditioning
Does anyone know if the RX-Z1 has been shipped to dealers yet? The last I was told by my local Tweeters, May 30th was supposed to be the date it was to receive them. However, none came in today. I wonder why Yamaha is taking so long to release the Flagship model of their new receiver line.

RichardMA

Second Unit
"Huh? How low do you mean? In my experience HK and Denon will drive tough speakers as well as Yamaha. "

I think they claim as low as 2 ohms, which I've never even
seen before.

This unit has been available in my city for at least 2 weeks as I saw it at the South Side A&B sound situated next to a gold RX-V3200.

Could not check it out as others were dominating the room at the time.

Josh_Z

Agent
Richard,

Yamaha claims that their receivers have a dynamic capability into 2 ohms. This is much different than being able to play a 2 ohm speaker load. Speakers will vary in impedance and some could dip down there, most won't. That is what a dynamic rating is.

Any receiver and many seperate amps would fry over time driving such a load. Yamaha's spec is misleading.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Josh,

Yamaha units have a switch in the back so you can select the impedance of the speakers you'll be driving. I believe the Z1 has a 2ohm setting. I've read that what this switch in fact does is trigger current limiting circuitry that prevents the receiver from frying. So I believe the idea is that you can drive low impedance speakers but you trade power for safety. But since power goes up as impedance goes down, the end result should be about the same.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

- Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks