Yamaha rx-z1...I am close to buying..comments?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marty Carry, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Marty Carry

Marty Carry Extra

I am close to buying the Yammy z1 and would appreciate any feedback from anyone out there.

I also am looking to buy the Yamaha dvd s2300 player. I have done some research and this looks like the best multi function unit.

Thanks for your help. Marty

2. JackIR

JackIR Stunt Coordinator

My answer: Don't buy it.

For many years I was a loyal Yamaha customer. Then I bought the RX-Z1. I had many problems with the unit. The retailer gave me another one, it had different problems over time. I believe the quality of their goods just isn't what it used to be.

I sold my RX-Z1 on Ebay and bought B&K.

3. Marty Carry

Marty Carry Extra

Any good news on the rx-z1?

4. Javi

Javi Extra

I love my RX-Z1 no problems, and it carries a 5-year warranty. Also it sounds great with all my movies and music.

5. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

FWIW,

The Z1 was given a AAA rating by SGHT in their recommended component list. The only AAAA rated receivers were the 5803 and the (49TX, if I remember right). Both have a MSRP of $1500 more than the Z1.

Phil

6. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

Hard to imagine you could go wrong w/ a flagship receiver that carries a 5 year warranty. That's a lot of protection.

7. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

I have the Z-1 & love it as well-especially having the 2 effects channels. Ive had no problems with it & I love the 5 year warranty

8. Marty Carry

Marty Carry Extra

thanks for the feedback! Any others out there that had trouble with the z1.

Any others that have the 2300 or 3300 that have good or bad things to say? Thanks, mc.

9. Adam.Gonsman

Adam.Gonsman Stunt Coordinator

I have a 3300 and love it very much overall.

I've played with the front effects channels a bit and overall I think I like them. I have on one movie I believe noticed them being "weird" though. In Gladiator (DTS ES), near the beginning when they come in to arrest Maximus, they call his name from off to the left. I get a very bizzare echo that seems out of place. It doesn't seem to be there when I turn off the effects speakers. At least I don't notice it. Don't know. Maybe it's just my imagination. Maybe it won't happen on the Z1 with it's fancier Yamaha DSP. Maybe it's in the movie.

As far as build quality, my 3300 is a rock and the Z1 is even more so. I've had the 3300 now for about 2 months now and haven't noticed any problems with mine.

Amplification, I'm not sure how much the amplification was changed between the V1 and the Z1. But the 3300 is nearly identical to the V1 in amps, so I'd imagine there's at least some similarity to the Z1 and any differences I'm sure are in the Z1's favor for being even better. The 3300 has a lot of clean power. It is very unstrained up to where I worry about damaging my hearing. I think I remember someone posting somewhere here in the forum that they liked the sound of the 3300 better than the Z1 (maybe it was better than the V1) but really can't remember. Personally, I really want to beleive this was just poor demoing on the part of the salesman for that particular person.

There was a lot going back and forth about not whether the Z1 is better than the 3300, but whether it's worth almost twice the price. If you haven't demoed the 3300, I would. I pseronally didn't demo the Z1 when I bought the 3300 cause there was no way I could have afforded it and didn't want to go home knowing I had to settle for second best. The Z1 should have much more accurate processing with the proprietary Yamaha DSP, but that's on paper. I would listen to both and decide if it's worth the extra. You might be able to put the extra money towards another fun toy in your system.

Hope that helps. It's sort of a hodgepodge of stuff for a critique.

10. Marty Carry

Marty Carry Extra

Thanks Adam!

Like you I was only looking at the 3300 and tried not to be romanced by the z1 because of the price. However I want to make every effort to do everything now (I have this financial window with my wife that could close at anytime..[​IMG] and have as many inputs/outputs as possible. With my new projector I plan on having component videos hooked up for digital cable, directv and a yammi s2300 dvd player....so I will use the 3rd set of component outputs right away.

I want to make sure that I have the best picture possible and from what I understand that is best accomplished with component video.

Any other feedback would be appreciated. Thanks, Marty

11. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

Hey Marty,

I own the V1 and have done blind tests against the 3300. I would have done this with the Z1 but it was in another room. IMO, while the 3300 is an excellent piece of equipement the V1 was noticably cleaner sounding all the way to max power, while the 3300 was slightly more harsh and more noticably as you increased the power. The difference was enough to me that I was willing to take the loss of the newer formats and bought the V1.

When I listened to the Z1, it sounded much the same as the V1. However this was on another set of speakers and not a direct compairison. I would have bought the Z1, but it was beyond my budget.

Phil

12. Brad Gable

Brad Gable Extra

I love my Z1. It sounds great and I have had no problems.

13. Adam.Gonsman

Adam.Gonsman Stunt Coordinator

Marty,
    I don't want to sound like I'm trying to talk you down to a 3300. By all means if you have the finances and most importantly approval of the little lady, I would be opting for the Z1 also just out of pricipal. [​IMG] But I'll mention that in regaurd to the absolute best picture possible (which component is the way to go), you're better off going straight to the tv or projector with your component video. This would be the case if you opt for the Z1 also.

The more devices you have in line on a signal, the more it's qualiy degrades. Some insist they can't tell a difference. Some insist they can. Some don't have a choice depending on the inputs their tv has.

There's been a dozen threads about this on the forum. There are advantages to both ways. But the short of it is that direct to tv, you lose OSD and one button source/device selection (unless you set up macros). With direct to tv, you pick up a better picture (in theory) and you can buy one less of those expensive component cables.

14. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

I recently had to toss up to a Z1 over 3300.

why:

1. 3300 wasn't available.
    2. it looked like my 3000 and 2095, and I've never had a flagship receiver.
    3. the remote wasn't any better than my 3000.
    4. hardly anyone responded to my queries, lol.
    5. I couldn't wait.

why not:

1. the 3300 has 2 newer features - video upconversion, and faster volume control.

ok, what's to like about Z1 (compared to 3000):

1. cleaner sound (no leaks in surrounds)
    2. nicer design
    3. gold plated jacks (looks nice)
    4. nicer remote
    5. more DSP modes (big plus for me)
    6. more tweaks

what's not to like (compared to 3000):

1. power difference doesn't sound like much.
    2. EX setting is reset OFF each time power goes off. RX-V3000 stayed at ON setting all the time.

I wish I would have been able to audition 3300, but that would mean no upgrade for 2 months, no thanks. This is despite possibly saving $1,000 for something else.

I'm happy otherwise. Have had 5 Yamaha receivers, and will always get another one (if quality remains, which is almost always).

I do miss the INPUT TRIM function which was last on the DSP-A780 series. Why take it out??? Balance all the different input signal levels = brilliant.
    Having to change volume for different sources SUCKS!

15. Marty Carry

Marty Carry Extra

Thanks for your input everyone. I believe tomorrow will be the day I take home the big box..........now all I need is 5 (maybe 6 or 7 actually) boxes to arrive from Sean to put that puppy to work.

Chris, I can relate to your comment on never having a flagship before. I figure if I have this window to make this kind of purchase I mine as well seize it.

Thanks, Marty.

16. JohnnyA

JohnnyA Extra

enjoy your purchase. it really is a nice feeling to be able to own a flagship, even if it becomes obsolete. myself, i've started with the dsp-a1000 back in the days, and consequently hopped over to the dsp-2070, dsp-a1, and finally the rx-v1. i'm still waiting, hoping to see the rx-z1 within my horizon...

btw, i still own several of these units. they are so well made and over time i just got so attached to them and couldn't let them go.

17. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Stunt Coordinator

JohnnyA: I still have a DSP-A1000 in my living room. I've had it for about 10 years now. The kids use it for movies as they don't care so much about DD and DTS and I use it for background music. I have a DSP-A1 in my HT and keep eyeing the Z1 and will probably buy it when the prices start to fall on them. The thing is the DSP-A1 does everything I need it to so I can't justify upgrading even though I would like to. Yamaha makes great products at real world prices imo and I will probably stick with them unless something major changes.

I do not like the remote for the Z1 however. I wish Yamaha would come up with something along the lines of the remote that comes with B&K. I like actual buttons and don't want to spend time programming macros etc.

18. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

the non-US model comes with a hard remote, similar to the 3300.