Yamaha RX-V995...should I upgrade?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Michael Allen, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Michael Allen

Hey folks,

I'm sure you hear a million questions just like this...and if I have posted this in the wrong forum I apologize.

OK...here goes...

I have some home theater equipment set up in a living room at the moment. My receiver is a Yamaha RX-V995. My speakers are Boston Acoustic Micro100X with a Boston Acoustic PV800 subwoofer.

I have never been extremely happy with the sound I am getting from this system. Watching movies seems fine...but while listening to music...it always seems to sound like the vocals are in another room.

My problems could stem from the fact that the acoustics in the room probably suck and I have never tweaked the receiver well enough.

Anyway, I am going to be moving to a house with a basement that will be dedicated to home theater. My question is...

Do I upgrade my receiver/speakers? I know the new receivers support 6.1 and 7.1 and the RXV995 doesn't support THX.

I really want to save the money and buy a new TV or projector...but I want the thing to sound good too.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

THX is a certification, not a format.
    To me, it's a meaningless logo that takes up precious real estate on equipment and dvd covers.

My guess is that the weak link is your speakers, but I don't know anything about that particular product.

First thing I would do is get a calibration disk and set it up properly. Then decide if you need to upgrade.

3. Michael Allen

Brad,

Thanks for the clarification on THX.

I did some searching around and it looks like the Avia Guide to Home Theater is the disc to get. Would you agree?

Also...do you know much about the RXV-995?

Mike

4. Massimo N

Massimo N Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Brad. The Yamaha RXV995 is a very good receiver (I used to own it). If you are arn't really interested in the newest decoding it still holds it's ground very well amound similar priced gear today.

The biggest issue I had with the receiver is that it didn't have enough power to properly drive my Paradigm Reference 40s. I eventually added an external amplifier (Anthem MCA50) and then changed to Anthem Pre/Pro AVM30.

I would prioritize the funds to new TV or Projector (if you have the environment for this, go this route), then your speakers, and then your sub.

Getting a disk like AVIA or DVE (Digital Video Essentials), (I prefer AVIA for everyday calibrations, along with a SPL (Sound Pressure Meter) will do wonders for your sound.

Just an FYI, in the RXV995 setup, make sure the DTS setting for the sub is +10. I can't remember where exactly it is (it's been about a year since I had it). You need to do this so your sub output for both DTS and DD material is consistent.

Proper speaker placement, calibration, room accoustics, and seating locations will do a lot more for you than upgrading components.

5. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I agree with the above posters inasmuch that the 995 is a very good receiver....... and I'd definitely wait until you inhabited the new space for your ht, calibrate and then make some choices..... and I also think the weak point is your speakers.......
    When 6.1 came out and was all the rave, I sold my Yam2095 and went with a RX-V1 primarily to get the 6.1 decoding. It really depends on your room arrangement as to how much it really adds..........I should have remembered my own sig.............

6. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

Hi Michael,

I owned the RXV-995 a few years back and upgraded to the Yamaha RXV-2300 for the following reasons:

1) Dolby Digital EX
    I had a jury rig Dolby Digital EX setup with my Yamaha 995 using an older Pro-Logic receiver added on for the rears. Upgrading helped greatly in this area.

2) Dolby Pro-Logic II
    It's amazing how much two channel material I still end up listening to, and (at least for me) DPL-2 was a welcomed step up over standard pro-logic. There's even unencoded two channel music that sounds great through DPL-2 that sounded muddy or center channel heavy in DPL-1.

3) Component video switching
    A nice thing to have when dealing with more than one component video source.

4) I was able to get an *excellent* price at the time.

In the end we all have our own unique priorities and spending limits, but these were my given factors for upgrading the last time.

7. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

All of the above. It's the speakers that make the sound. The electronics are such a tiny part of the equation when compared to the speakers that if you don't like how your system sounds then essentially you don't like the speakers.

The 995 was/is a decent unit and does a very acceptable job on 5.1. If you're really looking for more channels (just don't look to buy much real content for those channels ;~) then you could buy more speakers and "upgrade" to a Pioneer 1014TX (for less MSRP that you probably spent on the 995). And once you do all that your system still won't sound a whole lot different than it does today.

From what I saw the Micro100x are listed as surround speakers - if you're using them as your mains then that just might be a contributing factor... I'd say just spend money on speakers & content for the biggest return on your dollar.

8. Michael Allen

Everyone,

First off...thanks for the responses...it's been very helpful.

Sounds to me like my best bet is to hold on to everything until I get into the new space and calibrate it. I'll definitely be picking up that Avia disc and an SPL meter.

I'm sure I'll definitely want to upgrade later when 6.1 and 7.1 become more prevelant...but right now I want to get a new display device...probably front projection.

On the speaker issue, the Boston Acoustics site has the Micro 100x listed under their "Bookshelf" section as "satellite speaker" Not sure what that means...but can you guys recommend some speakers to use as mains? Perhaps I can still use the Micro100x as surround speakers?

Mike

9. Bill NHT

Bill NHT Auditioning

I have a RXV995 receiver also. I am looking to upgrade soon to the Pioneer 1015 when it is out. The main reason I want to get the 1015 is for Component in/out, and I like the idea of the MCAA option. I have NHT Evolution speakers and I think the sound could use a little tweaking, and the MCAA may help with that. The Yamaha is staying for other use. I am currently running seperate amps for the mains and center so power isn't an issue.

10. Leo

Leo Second Unit

I had the 995 in my home theater and it did a great job (actually I still have it in storage as my brother wants it as an upgrade to his old receiver). I moved on to a dedicated pre/pro and amp section. The 5.1 of the Yamaha was excellent. I agree with the others above - do good research and try to match up a receiver with your speakers and the new room.

11. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

First, let me say that TimMc hit it right on the head. BA makes great speakers but satellite speakers, for the most part, are just too small and don't go low enough (they cut out too much mid section). This makes the sub work too hard, even when properly callibrated, because the subs job is to handle the lows, not the mids, as far as I'm concerned. Some people like their satellite speakers and swear that the sub will take over where the satellites leave off, but I've never heard satellites that I felt really did that. Just search around here for a good pair of bookshelf speakers or towers for the fronts and use your current satellites for the surrounds. If you do this, keep in mind that it's a good idea to timber match your speakers (all the same tweeter/brand), so you may want to stick with BA as the fronts. This, however, is not always necessary for surrounds. I would make sure that the center and the mains are timber matched, however. Good luck with all this.

José

12. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I currently own a Yamaha RX-V995 myself and its a nice reciever. Its not a flagship and its not a pre/pro or a McIntosh High End peice. But it is a good sounding peice with some good flixibility. I have had 4 15" woofer hooked up to this reciever and it has pushed them and all the other channels with no problems and no clipping. I play back DTS surround sound, redbook cd's and SACD's thru it and it sound good. My main channel speakers are Altec Voice Of The Theaters that are very live, detailed and effencent. Compaired to the newer recievers the 995 does not have assignable digital inputs, dvi or hdmi capability, 6.1 or 7.1 capablity and it does not have component inputs. The video section on this reciever is 10 to 15 mhz so it is not sutable for hd programing. With all its short comings compaired to newer models its a solid performer in its price range.

IMHO I would say its a mixure of your room and your speakers so I would look at room treatments and new speakers. Another thing you want to consider is if you will be watching any hd content via cable or satalite? Will you be hooking up more than one sorce to your new projector via the reciever? Keep in mind that the 995 only has composit video and does not have component video for a progressive scan dvd player. If you are interested in having 6.1 surround you might want to consider the Denon AVR-3805 that is flexible and rather inexpesive especially with all the bells and wistles this reciever has. It retails for around $1500 but the draw back that there is no dvi or hdmi switching on it. That will be available on the Denon AVR-4806 for $3500. I would also recomend the Pioneer Elite line up as well.

If you are on a tight budget here is my suggestion. Purchase a new set of speakers that will go well with the 100 x 5 output of the 995. IMHO I would not use the small cube speakers with it. I would also look into room treatments and making sure the 995 is set up correctly. I am also looking into a projection unit for my ht. But I also plan to upgrade the 995 so I am ready for hd content and have the ability to watch 6.1 DTS. Another thing you might want to wait on is HD-DTS to be available in the newer recievers. So you could upgrade your speakers and get your projector. Then upgrade the 995 after HD-DTS is available and by that time the format war between Blue Ray and HD-DVD should be over and we should have a hd format for movies.

Hope this helps ya Michael