yamaha rx-v800 question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BradK, Mar 16, 2002.

1. BradK

BradK Stunt Coordinator

I'm wondering if anyone with this receiver can help. I only have s video and composite inputs on the tv. In order to view receivers on screen display, the manual says connect your monitor to COMPONENT jacks AND either VIDEO or S VIDEO.

So basically, if you dont have component inputs on tv, you're s.o.l. for osd?? Is there any way around this?

2. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

I have the 795a wich is the model the 800 replaced.. I have my s-video running to my 1 s-video input 0n my tv...and the switch is to s-video... anything that goes through my reciever has on-screen display... not sure where yours is not doing it?

3. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Brad, here's the deal...

For OSD, we need to connect between the amp's MONITOR OUT and the tv. Yamaha lets us use Composite (yellowband RCA) or S-Video. (edited to delete Component Out as a OSD carrier).

The proviso is that we have to MATCH input cables from other AV devices: DVD and VCR. This AVR cannot mix-n-match between these three cable types.

In my rxv800, system I have no COMPONENT-capable tv, so I connect my DVD player S-Video to amp, and my S-VHS VCR by S-Video to amp, and a longer S-Video cable amp to tv. Now, when I turn on the tv, the tv's S-Video mode displays both these sources AND all any OSDs using remotes (even the Yamaha volume level...d'oh).

A plain VCR video cable wud go directly to the tv's appropriAte RCA jack.

4. BradK

BradK Stunt Coordinator

Thanks again Bill. I posted same question on receiver board, and although they didnt elaborate, a couple posters said that they strictly used a composite line. You would THINK that Yamaha would make it that easy?!?!

5. BradK

BradK Stunt Coordinator

Followed your advice Bill, and now have OSD. Thanks a lot for your help. I wish Yamaha could have explained that in the manual a little more clearly.