What's new

Yamaha RX-V800 Problem (1 Viewer)

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
There was a power outage in my area which lasted a couple of hours. My Home Theater System was on when power went out. When power was restored, my Yamaha RX-V800 has no sound coming from the MAIN speakers. Sound does come from the center, rears and subwoofer. Only the MAINS have no sound (this was discovered by running the test tone). What could be the problm here?

P.S. I went throught the menu several times and can't find anything wrong.

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
There was a power outage in my area which lasted a couple of hours. My Home Theater System was on when power went out. When power was restored, my Yamaha RX-V800 has no sound coming from the MAIN speakers. Sound does come from the center, rears and subwoofer. Only the MAINS have no sound (this was discovered by running the test tone). What could be the problm here?

P.S. I went throught the menu several times and can't find anything wrong.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Walt,

If you did not have the rcvr plugged into a surge protector (and especially if the system had been left turned on during the power outage) it’s likely that a surge did do some rcvr damage.

If there WAS a surge protector, look at the LED lite for PROTECTION ON – is it now off or flickering, indicating the box has take a major hit?

Another test for mains is use the remote to select EFFECT OFF which leaves mains set as stereo spkrs. Any luck?

Think if you moved the rcvr around after the outge, and go bck to set-up basic – spkr leads tight and not splayed out; Spr selector set to A and not B or both; and the ret of the drill.

If your tests still bring no joy, then (like me) now’s the chance to think about upgrading to a Yamaha RXV-1400 for the ProLogicII and new YPAO automatic speaker balancing feature, and etc. rather than spend $100-200 in out of warranty repair. Don’t use homeowners insurance for such a small damage sum, it wud just jeopardize your standing with the Ins. Company, most likely.

bill

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Walt,

If you did not have the rcvr plugged into a surge protector (and especially if the system had been left turned on during the power outage) it’s likely that a surge did do some rcvr damage.

If there WAS a surge protector, look at the LED lite for PROTECTION ON – is it now off or flickering, indicating the box has take a major hit?

Another test for mains is use the remote to select EFFECT OFF which leaves mains set as stereo spkrs. Any luck?

Think if you moved the rcvr around after the outge, and go bck to set-up basic – spkr leads tight and not splayed out; Spr selector set to A and not B or both; and the ret of the drill.

If your tests still bring no joy, then (like me) now’s the chance to think about upgrading to a Yamaha RXV-1400 for the ProLogicII and new YPAO automatic speaker balancing feature, and etc. rather than spend $100-200 in out of warranty repair. Don’t use homeowners insurance for such a small damage sum, it wud just jeopardize your standing with the Ins. Company, most likely.

bill

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Bill Kane.

Both speaker select switches were off. I hit the button for Speaker A and got the sound back for everything EXCEPT my DVD player. I think I remember doing a reassignment of something for the DVD player. I'll have to check that out.

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Bill Kane.

Both speaker select switches were off. I hit the button for Speaker A and got the sound back for everything EXCEPT my DVD player. I think I remember doing a reassignment of something for the DVD player. I'll have to check that out.

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
Everything's working fine again. I had to reassign an output to my DVD player.

I've had power outages before and never had this happen. I set the receiver up when I bought it 4 years ago and that's all I had to do until today.

Thanks again for your help.

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
Everything's working fine again. I had to reassign an output to my DVD player.

I've had power outages before and never had this happen. I set the receiver up when I bought it 4 years ago and that's all I had to do until today.

Thanks again for your help.

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
The power outage mentioned in the first post of this thread may have done something to the "memory backup" on my RX-V800. There was another outage today which lasted a couple of hours. When power was restored, everything was reset to the factory defaults. I had to go back and change everything again.

With power outages prior to the one mentioned in this post, I did not have to do anything once power was restored. I usually leave my system with "memory guard" OFF (it's been this way since I set it up nearly 4 years ago).

Does this sound like a problem? I have a few months left on an extended warranty.

P.S. The RX-V800 is plugged into a 3400-joule Surge Protector.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
It's impossible to say whether your particular unit has developed a power-cycle glitch over the years, but I tend to doubt this, given Yamaha's overall record of reliability.

Like you, I have MEMORY GUARD set to OFF, which I did on out-of-the-box setup, so I've forgotten the rationale then; however, it seems to serve me well.

Can't say definitively, but it's generally believed that receiver settings can last some two weeks under total power shutdown (no internal standby mode). So your power company outages shouldn't kill the settings, theoretically, unless there are "rogue surges" (I made up the last, since in the end we will blame imps for unknown problems).

Your surge protector so long as the MOV rings inside havent eroded from years of hits leaving the PROTECTION ON light dark, wud appear to be adequate. Only an Uninterrupted Power Supply or UPS unit might keep the receiver "hot" after an outage, but 99 per. of the time this isnt needed for an amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks