What's new

Yamaha RX-V800 help (1 Viewer)

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
I've had my RX-V800 receiver for almost a year now. I have cable TV which I don't have going thru the receiver thus I can't see the on screen display when using the TV.
Question: If I decide I want to have the on screen display when using my TV, I will have to run my cable thru the receiver. Does this mean I WON'T be able to watch TV UNLESS the receiver is on?

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks! I'll just leave it stay connected as is. Anyway I've heard if your TV has enough connections it's better to run them directly to the TV to avoid degrading the signal passing thru the receiver.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Walt,
It is really easy to accomplish this, assuming your equipment (including the TV) is of recent vintage.
First, connect the receiver’s “Monitor Out” to the TV’s “Line In.”
If the cable box has video and audio output jacks in addition to the antenna connections (most do), connect them to an appropriate input on the receiver, like “TV/DBS.” Then when the receiver is on and the TV is switched to “Line In,” you will have surround sound for your cable programs. And it will allow the use of the RX-800’s on-screen displays.
Switching the TV back to “Antenna” will allow you to watch TV with the receiver off.
If your cable box doesn’t have audio and video output jacks, you can accomplish the same thing with a VCR. Simply install an RF splitter and send the cable feed to both the TV and the VCR. If you haven’t already, set the VCR’s antenna input to “CATV,” so the VCR essentially becomes another cable box, able to tune in all basic non-premium channels.
Hope this helps,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
------------------
My Equipment List

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input Wayne. I have a relatively new 36" JVC D Series TV a little over a year old. So I do have the inputs.
However, the only problem with this JVC is that it doesn't have separate antenna and cable functions. In other words when you set up the TV you have to either select cable or antenna then it will run the auto program. I would have to run the auto program each time I switced between cable and antenna.

Will_S

Auditioning
walt, he means switching between line in from the receiver and the catv/antenna input from the cable box. not resetting the catv/antenna source in the tv's setup menu.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
walt, I'll add here my setup w/ the RX-V800.
Since my Panasonic RV-30 DVD has S-Video, I connect this to the appropriate input on the back of the rcvr. Then (since you cant mix cable types) I got a 5 or 6-ft S-Video cable for rcvr's MONITOR OUT to the 27in TV's S-Video input.
For rcvr OSD, I scroll to the TV's S-Video input and get a blue screen display, and use this input for DVD watching as well as getting the DVD remote's OSD, too.
------------------

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
I understand what you mean but my TV still does not have separate cable and antenna setups. I have only one coaxial input to my TV which would be used for my cable input. Once the sole coxial input is used, for my cable input, I would then have to select, within my TV setup menu, the cable option....which is independent of the antenna option. I have two S-Video inputs and one set of component inputs. I use one S-Video for my DVD and the other for my VCR.
I know that with some TV's you can switch between antanna and cable, but with mine you have to run setup for either the antenna or cable...there's no switching between the two. I hope I'm being clear here.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
quote: I understand what you mean but my TV still does not have separate cable and antenna setups. I have only one coaxial input to my TV which would be used for my cable input. [/quote]
Walt, this does not pertain to changing the TV’s antenna input. You only do that if you change from cable service to an over-the-air antenna (rabbit ears, outdoor antenna, etc.).
It pertains to switching the TV from the antenna input (viewing with the system off) to the line in jacks (viewing with the system on). Since you have both of the DVD player and VCR plugged into TV’s line in jacks, you would have to disconnect one of them and use that jack for the receiver’s “Monitor Out” send. The video signal from the disconnected component would be sent to the appropriate receiver input, and its video signal would in turn be supplied by the Yamaha to the TV’s input jack.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
------------------
My Equipment List
[Edited last by Wayne A. Pflughaupt on November 07, 2001 at 09:50 PM]

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
Please disregard this message. I know how to do this.
For some reason I thought there was a way around going through the VCR but there isn't.
Thanks for all your help!
I understand you now Wayne regarding the connections. Now I'm not sure how to connect my cable TV BOX to the A/V receiver. My cable TV box has ONLY coaxial output (no audio or video outputs). Please explain this one step by step.
[Edited last by Walt H on November 07, 2001 at 10:08 PM]

Marcelo T

Stunt Coordinator
1. connect the cable box to the VCR
2. connect the VCR to the TV via coax cable
3. connect the vcr to the receiver via rca cable
4. connect the receiver video out/monitor to the tv via rca cable, on a video input
This way you ber able to watch tv without the receiver on,and to see the osd just turn on your vcr thats connect to the receiver.
MT

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I've got the RX-V1000 and I can't figure out why you can't use the on-screen menus when your input/output is composite video. I run my composite cables from my DVD player to the receiver and then out to the TV. You can use the on-screen menus with every other input, but not with the composite...Weird..

Thomas_A

Second Unit
Shawn...maybe talking about something else..by my yammie 795a has a switch on the back for the on-screen display. does yours??? I believe it is for s-video and composite... I'm not at home..but I know there is that type of switch back there...
thomas

Marcelo T

Stunt Coordinator
I believe he's talking about component inputs. Receivers usually don't output OSD through the component outs.

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
On the back of the Yamaha RX-V800 the CBL/SAT input is an RCA type plug. In order to run the coaxial cable (for cable TV) to this CBL/SAT connection, is there a coaxial to RCA converter or an RF Demodulator for this (or are they both the same)?

Marcelo T

Stunt Coordinator
Don't run the coax through the receiver. There´s no use for this. Connect it to the vcr and from the vcr to the TV

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
I do get that part. I was mainly wondering what would you connect to the CAB/SAT input on the back of a receiver? The labeling of this input is a bit confusing, to me. Judging from the name, CAB/SAT, you would think you could connect your cable output from a cable box into this connection, then connect the monitor out on the back of the receiver to the TV and watch cable. At least that's how it appears to me.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Walt,
If this input jack for TV/SAT is labeled “Coaxial,” what you’re seeing is a so-called coaxial digital input. Many satellite receivers these days have a 5.1 digital output, just like a DVD player. This input is looking for a digital bitstream from a satellite receiver, not an RF antenna feed (RG-6).
Check your manual. It should explain all this.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
------------------
My Equipment List

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a response I received from Yamaha, which now I understand:
"The RF signal from your box or wall needs to be Tuned or Modulated. Our receiver does not have a TV tuner built in to separate Audio and Video and Tune in stations. Your TV or VCR will need to do this. The CBL/SAT is an input from the Audio and Video output of a Cable box or Sat. receiver that has already tuned and Modulated the signal."
Thanks Again All!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks