Yamaha RX-v795A questions...should I buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GabeR, Feb 21, 2003.

1. GabeR

GabeR Agent

I know someone online who is selling the yamaha rx-v795A
    Its only $200.....sound like a good deal?

I was looking at the HTR-5550 or 5560 for a long time
    But I heard the rx-v are a little bit better

Even though its used, do you think its a good deal?

Its my first 5 channel/surround sound receiver so I want it to be good
    either this or a new yamaha
    thanks

2. GabeR

GabeR Agent

anyone use a rxv530-630 input is fine also
    it will be mainly for dvds- action movies etc

3. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

There is no difference between the RXV and HTR lines except for the distribution channels where they are sold. RXV are sold at places like Good Guys and Magnolia HiFi while you can find HTRs and Best Buy, Sears and online. There is generally a corresponding HTR unit for each RXV at least until you near the top of the line, when they only have RX-V units. Here are a few of the equivalents.

RX-V1300 = HTR-5590
    RX-V630 = HTR-5560
    RX-V530 = HTR-5550
    RX-V430 = HTR-5540

I have the 595a which is equivalent to the HTR 5150, about 3 years old or more. If you buy the 795a you won't have the latest features like All channel stereo, 6.1, Dolby PLII, DTS Neo, Discete and Dolby EX. But you won't get any of that for $200 anyway except for maybe DPL2. I still use my 595a and it sounds great. The 795a has 3 digital inputs and 1 coaxial but no digital outputs if that matters. It does have a phono input if you use a turntable. Also has an on screen display.

I'm not fond of the Yammy remote but not sure if it has improved over the years.

4. BrianJ>Y

BrianJ>Y Stunt Coordinator

Personally, I think you'd be better off spending around $300 for a v630/5560. It would last you longer and $330 or so compared to $200 isn't that big a deal right? Unless you're REALLY strapped for money or just want any amp for around 200, I wouldn't purchase the 795a. I have the 595a and while it's been great as a beginner's receiever(when I knew nothing about audio), I now dislike it's sound character. To me it's harsh when you past 10 on the dial, not balanced, too much emphasis on the midrange and thin sounding highs...My speakers are axiom all around which are very neutral, so it's not a speaker issue, my room is also quite dead as well. Just my opinion, we do all hear things differently...but goodluck with your search.

-Brian

5. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

I think Brian is right. The 595a was my first home theater receiver and since then I have purchased a Sherwood Newcastle R-956 and a HK 320. Both have smoother sound than my old Yammy. Especially with music.

$100 for newer technology and a full warranty is worth it.

6. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

I had one temporarily and I liked it alot.

7. GabeR

GabeR Agent

HTR series sounded fine to me when listening to it

EIther way most denons around here are very expensive
    I think 300 would be the most I would spend on a unit

8. Mark_Sparks

Mark_Sparks Agent

I currently use a 795 right now. I got it brand new 4 years ago and I've had no problems with it. it is a great receiver and one of the first to carry dts. I am now though looking to upgrade to something better, like outlaw or marantz. a big step up. but for starting out, it is a great receiver, but like many have said, does not have a lot of extra features like found in todays receivers. Does have a few dsp modes. GabeR if your deal falls through, send me an email and maybe we can work something out. i will be looking to get rid of my unit. Great shape and NO problems!!

mark

9. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael

10. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

11. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

some of the HTR's have pre outs others dont it depends on the model. The only construction difference between the 2 is that the HTR's have standard metal connections on all input/outputs where the RX-V's have gold plated ins/outs. This is the ONLY difference between the 2 lines besides that the HTR's dont have the 12v triggers, everything else is completely identical between the 2 lines, same power supplys, same processors, amplifiers the whole 9 yards. I to at one point thought there were more major differences but they are exactly the same.

12. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I had a 793. The pre DTS version of the 795.

I gots to tell you, I've had the Sony TA-E9000ES, and now the Outlaw 950 pre/pros since. IMHO, the Yamaha *still* kicks butt over those two for DSP processing.

If you only need DD/DTS, $200 is a great deal.

13. Mike Veroukis

Michael

14. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

every example I've seen both the HTR and its RX-V equivelant are priced exactly the same in most cases the HTR slightly lower. My comment about the gold plating comes from my own experience I have an RX-V730 (no HTR equivelant) and its got gold ins/outs yet the HTR-5540 and 5590 do not.

also Yamaha states in there FAQ that the HTR's are the exact same as the RX-V's. The reason that places like BB, Sears, etc sell them is most people who shop these stores are not looking for features like pre-outs or 12v triggers most are just joe blow off the street that knows little to nothing about audio gear that are just looking to buy whatever tickles there fancy. I agree its stupid to build 2 units that are almost exactly the same and sell them under different models numbers but hey people buy lexus, acura, and infinity even though there is no real difference between there Toyota, Honda & Nissan Counterparts. its just another way for a company to charge more for basically the same thing by adding 1 or 2 bells and whistles here and there.

15. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

I'd buy a used 795a if it was in good condition, but only if I was using it for a second system (like in a den or bedroom) rather than for a primary system. My buddy bought the RX-V630 a few months ago. They're available in the $300-$400 range. He is really pleased with its performance. I know that his system sounds great.

16. Mike Veroukis

Michael

17. Dave Ma

Dave Ma Stunt Coordinator

I have a nice RXV 1000 for sale if your interested. It is in perfect condition.

18. GabeR

GabeR Agent

Well all shops down here in california are good guys, circuit city etc that sell those receivers
    I will try to find a smaller audio place that might be able to adjust on prices
    Good guys is usually largely overpriced and wont even let you listen in store...you have to buy and then return

hmmm...

19. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

In defense of Good Guys, they are competitive in their pricing and they will demo products for you. The minus is their stores are big, bright and noisy, so it's hard to evaluate equipment. It's better to know what you're looking for when you go in than to actually shop.