What's new

Yamaha RX-V757, good buy? (1 Viewer)

Chris_Bak

Auditioning
I'm looking to purchase the yamaha Rx-V757 reciever, but I havn't been able to find any quality in depth reviews of it. I've seen it in some eletronics stores but playing with it thier doesn't really help much. Anybody have first hand expereience with this reciever?

KenLeBlanc

Stunt Coordinator
I think that model is quite new. I have the 650 which is last year's model (new one would be 657 I guess). it's a great receiver. You can't go wrong with Yamaha. I use the Zone 2 for my outdoor speakers and the YPAO is nice too. maybe someone with the 757 can give you a better idea of how they like it. If you find reviews on the 750 that might help, I'm assuming the 757 probably just has a few new features.

Chris_Bak

Auditioning
ok cool, 750 reviews were pretty easy to find. I'm pretty much sold on it. Does that YPAO feature really work that well?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

With the RX-V757, the YPAO option just checks for speaker phase, sets speaker distance and also sets the level. It is a bit stripped when you compare the YPAO on the HTR-5890, RX-V1500 and 2500 receivers which also make equalizer adjustments as part of YPAO.

However, if the price is right, go for it. The receiver should sound very good and perform very good. The only basic option the 757 offers over the 750 is the capability of tuning into XM radio stations - with a separate antenna and a subscription to XM. Additionally, the 757 offers "pure direct" mode, which I don't think was included on the 750.

Chris_Bak

Auditioning
I can get it for about $450-$500, which I thing is a pretty good price. I'm not looking to spend over $600 on the reciever so I thing this will fit the bill perfectly. I've already got the 2 main and 2 surround speakers. I'm looking at the sub and center right now. Will probably get the SVS PB10-ISD for my sub but am un-sure on the center. What are you guys running?

KenLeBlanc

Stunt Coordinator
My 650 has the pure direct so I'm sure the 750 had it.

I would try to match up the centre to your mains if possible. Just so it's matched well. I have Athena's all the way around. F1's, C1 and R1's. Good budget speakers. What speakers do you have so far ?

Chris_Bak

Auditioning
heh, kind of a hodpodge of stuff. Two Sony SS-U581AV floor standing speakers for the front and I've got 2 Bose 301 sereies II for surround. The bose are about 20 years old but still sound great, the sony's are much more recent (late '90's I beleive but I can't locate any info on em). They just replaced a 20+ year old set of Rectilinear XI speakers, which only now started crapping out at high frequencies (damn things are actually coming apart). This was all running through another blast from the past, a Sony STR-AV550 reciever. Everything sounds pretty good, I compared it with a friend of mines hi-end Marantz/Paridigm setup and I actaully was pretty pleased with how mine held up. I'm not really sure what to get for a center speaker though. I'm not sure wether to go with sony or not as the only newer sony pruducts I've heard are crappy HT in a box sets, and Bose is just way to over priced. I've been looking at B&W, Pardigm, Klipsch amd Axiom. Any reccomendations?

Tim_

Stunt Coordinator
As long as you're not pushing any hard to drive amp hungry 4ohm & 2ohm speakers you'll be perfect fine with it. Yamaha are design to drive 8ohms & 6 ohms speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks