What's new

Yamaha RX-V677 Speaker Recommendation (1 Viewer)

maynard

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Mayrand
I just recently purchased the Yamaha RX-V677 upgrading from my Marantz SR-7200. When I originally bought the Marantz I had purchased my speaker set which is probably dated a bit but other than the sub that is no longer working seem to be holding up.

Polk RT25I's for the rears

Polk RT800I's for the fronts

Polk CS245I for the center

and Polk PSW450 for Subwoofer

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Wayne A. Pflughaupt said:
Sounds like the levels are set too low in the menu.

Hard to go wrong with a SVS PB2000. Huge improvement over your Polk.

Of course, the surround speakers go in the back. I have no idea what you mean by “virtual.”

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Yamaha includes YSP soundmodes on their AVR now. So...(not read a manual for specifics beyond the 377) the 5.0(7.0??) portion can all be on the front wall.

"In the correct spot" is always best. Anything else is a compromise. The 677 has(I think) Presence and IIz. Virtual Presence allows "fake height". Again, speakers "in the correct spot" is always preferred.

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
maynard said:
I just recently purchased the Yamaha RX-V677 upgrading from my Marantz SR-7200. When I originally bought the Marantz I had purchased my speaker set which is probably dated a bit but other than the sub that is no longer working seem to be holding up.

My question is pertaining to the speakers in general. It seems I have to crank the amp up to 4-6 DB Positive to get decent volume. Is this because of the speakers? Or maybe because I em losing my hearing (lol)... Also the RT25I's seem non existant at lower audio levels.

I just got it a few days ago so again I haven't really played with the settings much. I did run through the YPAO but it made it even worse so I restarted the receiver back to default. I will probably be adjusting all levels manually.

Also what is the optimal setup for speakers for the surround? Fronts with virtual on the RT25i's or would it make more sense ot put em in back?

Thanks in advance Yammy guys and gals! Lemme know your thoughts!
Set all the speaker levels to +0 and try again. How does it all sound with the AVR's test tone?

Check all your wiring. Now, check again.

What's your budget for a subwoofer? Is there anything wrong with the one you have? (e.g. not enough oomph, "chuffing" during movies, doesn't go low enough)

The manual has diagrams of where to put speakers for 5.1,... please tell me you've looked in the manual and at least followed their basic instructions...?

maynard

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Mayrand
Thanks all! I didn't realize how sensative the MIC was and when I ran the first test the water heater was fired up. So it disrupted the results. Once I did the YPAO in a very silent room it was SUBSTANTIALLY BETTER!!!

It adjusted levels on the left and right surround and increased volume on the center which is helping a huge amount!

@Wayne thanks for the suggestion on the Sub. I definetly want to move forward with a new one. And will check out reviews on it!

@Chromejob I'd like to stay under $300 on the sub but depending on how much it really steps it up I may be willing to spend more.

As for speakers I have 2 Fronts, Center, A broken Sub and 2 Rears mounted on walls left and right of main seating area. I'm guessing I can hook up two more either front presence or rear behind the left and right surrounds on this receiver. I think though doing that means no second zone. Which for me is not what I bought this for. I hope I'm understanding that correctly....

Thanks guys for all the feedback!

maynard

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Mayrand
On a side note what is average listening / movie watching levels? Right now I'm at -26DB after the YPAO changes described above but I was just curious what people generally watch things at... And if anyone wants to enlighten me why the negative DB levels at all? Just seems weird to me... Thanks!

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
That's about where I listen.

I would add surround back before front presence. Just my preference.

$500 would get you a SVS sb-1000 (or pb-1000), but a well reviewed $300 sub, the NXG NX-BAS-500 is priced at Newegg $150. There've been reports of issues, perhaps lapsed QC and the model is discontinued, so there's a little risk. But Jim (jman ) gave it high marks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks