What's new

Yamaha RX-V659 vs HTR-5960 (1 Viewer)

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
What is the difference between the RX-V line and the HTR line AV receivers ?

There are many similarities between these two product lines. The RX-V line and the HTR line are produced in the same Yamaha factory using the same high quality parts throughout. The RX-V and equivalent HTR models have the same warranty periods; the same manufacturers suggested retail price, the same features, and the same remote control units. There is a cosmetic difference found on the front panels of these two lines. The RX-V line maintains the traditional white colored lettering normally found on most Yamaha components, while the HTR line provides a slightly different approach. Yamaha has created a new look by using gold colored lettering in selected areas on the HTR receiver series. However, both the RX-V line and the HTR line feature the same high quality black metal front panel construction. The amplifiers in the HTR and RX-V units are identical but rated differently to comply with the accepted measurement standards of their respective channels of distribution. Both ratings are FTC approved and are designed to handle the dynamics of today's audio and video sources. The RX-V line has the power amplifiers rated from 20-20000 Hz. The HTR line has the power amplifiers rated at 1000 Hz. Both lines can reproduce the full frequency response of 20-20000 Hz. The RX-V line is typically sold through Yamaha authorized audio/video specialty retailers, and is not available for mail order sales. The HTR line is sold through mass merchants, catalog retailers, and department stores. You may also purchase the HTR line through the mail. All transactions must be done through the authorized Yamaha dealer network. Any purchase made from an unauthorized dealer/retailer voids the Yamaha manufacturer's warranty.

Source: http://www.yamaha.com/yec/faq/faqdet...5&CTID=5009145

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
I knew about the RX-V and HTR models as I have read that on Yamaha's website before. However, this is not exactly true (regarding the ONLY difference being cosmetic). If you look carefully at the specs between the RX-V659 and HTR-5960 you will see that the RX-V659 has an "assignable power amp" (with separate zone2 speaker connections) which will let you redirect the surround back amp for use to power zone2 speakers. You can also clearly see this viewing the photo of the back panel of these receivers. The RX-V659 also has the +12volt trigger (not found on the HTR model). The zone2 function of the RX-V659 can be a major difference for someone who uses that feature and purchases the HTR model not realizing that this model does not have that function. Yamaha needs to update their info regarding the RX-V and HTR line of receivers.

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
At first I did take Yamaha at their word that the only difference between the two lines was cosmetic. But I began to wonder why would they do this without giving the RX-V line sold in "high end" stores a slight edge over the mass market line. And if both counterparts RX-V & HTR models were the same price (based on Yamaha's MSRP), why would someone purchase the model with less features?

I realize you can get the HTR models for a few dollars less in some places (actually I saw an HTR model which cost more than it's twin RX-V model), but again this is based on Yamaha's MSRP.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks