Yamaha RX-V650 Operating Voltage

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Craig Thorn, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Craig Thorn

Craig Thorn Extra

Being from Australia I was not going to purchase this online from the US based on the 120V operating voltage.

In Australia, its 240V. I belive the frequency is the same but in any case. I have recently heard that at the back of the Yammy, there is a switch which enables tbe use of the receiver using both voltages ... is this correct?

Also as a side note I was thinking of downgrading my receiver choice to the HK AVR330 but my friend who works for a surround sound place advised against it based on their reliability.

What do people think?

2. John Brill

John Brill Supporting Actor

Nope, there is no switch on the back of US/Canada models of Yamaha receivers (the switch is for 8 ohms/6 ohms speaker selection). Not sure if the voltage couldn't be changed from within though...

I'd say that HK's reliability is on par with everyone else? I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor unless there are no authorized service centers near your home...

JB

3. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

The reliability of H/Ks has improved over the past few years. Every mass produced product will have its fair share of duds, but I wouldn't be so quick to pass judgement on them.

In any case, the answer to your question lies on the manufaacturer's website. Most of them give you rear panel photos, so all you really have to do is download the photo and take a look to see if it has the switch or not. Or read the manual, which is usually also posted. Much better (faster and reliable) solution than most of us guessing at it.

And if you're not sure, e-mail tech support.

4. Craig Thorn

Craig Thorn Extra

The Canadian Yamaha website is by far the best. The Aussie one is crap! I just thought I would say that first.

I looked at the back panel but there isnt any switch. So I checket out the manual and wo'la ... on page 23 for the Asia/General Models there is a 'magical' switch.

Thanks for that. It literally made my day.

5. John Brill

John Brill Supporting Actor

Yes, but I thought you were ordering online from the US??? Can you get the Asia/General Model from a US retailer? I'd suspect not.

If your online order is not from US/Canada then life is good for you [​IMG]

JB