What's new

Yamaha RX-V630 vs. RX-V2300 (1 Viewer)

Mike--M

Grip
I purchased a Yamaha RX-V630 about a month ago for $249.00 and am wondering if I made a mistake. I went to Good Guys yesterday and saw that they have an "open box" RX-V2300 for $579.00. Or I can get a RX-V740 for $599.00

The reason I think I made a mistake is that I am not sure if the 630 will put out enough power. I am in the market for new 5.1 (minus the sub) speakers.

So, will RX-V2300 be a big improvement over the RX-V630 or the RX-V740? Which one would you recommend?

Thanks, Mike

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
The 2300 will be a big improvement over the 630. I used to have a 620 and although it sounded good I always thought it was lacking something for music.....like that little extra oomph. I upgraded to the rx-v2200 and was thrilled at the improvement it gave. The amps are much beefier and just had a smoother more powerful and rich sound. If it were me I would go for the 2300. I doubt you will see a huge improvement going with the 740.
With all that said though....do you like your 630? If you do then you did not make a mistake. It is a grear receiver and you got a great deal for it. The reason I upgraded was because something was missing. If nothing is missing to you then save the money.

Mike--M

Grip
Thanks for the reply. I like the 630 but am looking for new speakers (fronts, center and rears) and am worried that the 75 watt per channel is not enough. I am looking at Axiom, Monitor Audio and possibly Energy and figured that hte 110 watts would be better...

I do not want to regret the decision later and base my speakers on a amp that may not be powerful enough. I figure that I will have the speakers longer than the amp.

As you can tell I do not know much about this and am open to recommendations on the whole system.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Although I have been rather vocal against Yamaha amps in the past, definately jump on that deal for the 2300. Lower THD, slightly more power, and the amps on it are probably far better than the ones on the 630. And when you want to upgrade amps, it'll make a good pre/pro too.

(Mind you the 630 also has preouts, so you can upgrade the amps only without ditching the whole receiver.)

Mike--M

Grip
Thanks, for the info. I appreciate the feedback and think I will make the jump.

There was a reason for me only putting Yamaha's in the post :) There seems to be a lot of "debating" between which brand to choose. I figured I wold get more subjective comments if I did it this way. I narrowed the brand I wanted and was curious if the jump in wattage is big enough to justify the product exchange.

Mike

Mike--M

Grip
In case anyone is interested, I am stuck with the RX-V630 (for now). I spoke with a salesman at the Good Guys on Friday and he said it would not be a problem to exchange the unit. I explained to him that the unit was purchased more than 30 days ago and he said "not a problem if I was exchanging and not returning". I spoke with them again tonight and they said no go.

Thanks for all the replies, hopefully after I get some new speakers I will still like the 630

I have the 630 and I am happy with it. If you found you need more power , the 630 has pre outs for all channels so you can add a/an amp(s) down the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks